Instructions and Rules in Uddskatan Nature Reserve
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Instructions and rules for Uddskatan
In the Uddskatan area
- Moving about on foot on marked hiking trails
- Skiing, also off-trail, after the shorelines have frozen.
- As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in Everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
- Moving about off-trail during the snow-free season
- Mountain biking
- Tenting and making campfires
- Please note that disposable grills are also considered open fires.
- Disturbing grazing animals
- Landing boats (all year round).
- Leave all birds in peace while they are nesting and stay on the trail to prevent wear on the landscape!
Additional information on the Uddskatan Nature Reserve and the management and use of its nearby areas can be found in the publication Tulliniemen linnustonsuojelualueen ja Bengtsårin lehdon hoito- ja käyttösuunnitelma (metsa.fi) (Finnish only).
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the park without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Equipment and Safety
- With clothing and other equipment, it is good to note, that the area is quite windy and that ticks(Ixodes ricinus) live there. It is wise to pack tick pliers and check daily for ticks.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. Maritime Rescue Centre's calling number is 0294 1000. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland
In the Uddskatan area
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency center attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.