Tuiskukuru Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Tuiskukuru reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Kuva: Matti Mäcklin.
Photo: Nina Raasakka.
Photo: Allan Niva/Metsähallitus.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo. The hut was built in 1967.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Tuiskukuru, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 12.7916' lon: 27° 50.6203' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7566872 E: 534943.
- The wilderness hut is situated at the south-east end of Tuiskukuru Ravine at the headwaters of River Tuiskujoki.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Suomunruoktu open and reservable wilderness hut, the Lankojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, the Luirojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, the Kuusela rental hut, the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut, and Karapulju open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kemihaara is ca. 33 km, from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 35 km, from Kiilopää is ca. 28 km and from Saariselkä is ca. 41 km.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
12 € / night / person (incl. VAT 10%).
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
Two-tiered sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, a table, and benches.
A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Tuiskuoja.
You can pick up the keys from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen, Ivalo Customer Service, Fell Centre Kiilopää (kiilopaa.fi), Hotel Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppionmajat.fi, in Finnish), Sodankylän Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish) or from the Vuotso, JJR Pehkonen Oy tel. +358 442 432 449.
Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- There is a recycling point at the reservable wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.