Photo: Niina Pehkonen.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä or in Ivalo. The hut was built in 1966.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä (sodankyla.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Hammaskuru, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 09.9536' lon: 28° 17.8853' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7561926 E: 553874
- The wilderness hut is situated on the Anterijoki - Luirojoki forest road on the western side of Vuomapää Fell.
- The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo.
- The closest huts are the Hammaskota lapp pole tent, the Anterinmukka open wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakanruoktu rental turf hut, the Luirojärvi open and reservable wilderness, the Kuusela rental hut, the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut and the Siulanruoktu open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Aittajärvi is ca. 38 km, from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 50 km, from Kemihaara ca. 43 km, and from Kiilopää ca. 48 km.
- Two-tiered sleeping platforms, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove and a gas cooker.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Hammasjoki.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Pets are permitted in the hut, but only in case that other visitors agree with it.
- There is a recycling point at the open wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
- Urho Kekkosen kansallispuisto outdoor map, 1:100 000.
- Saariselkä-Sokosti outdoor map, 1:50 000.
- Terrain map V514, 1:50 000.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.