Services in Viiankiaapa
Customer Service and Guidance
- The starting points of the nature trails in Viiankiaapa Mire Reserve have information boards in both Finnish and English.
- Additional information about the site is available from the nearest customer service point of Metsähallitus, which is the Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava in Pyhätunturi.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
In Viiankiaapa Mire Reserve, campfires are allowed only at designated campfire sites, of which there are three.
- There is a Lapp 'kota' hut and a lean-to shelter along the Kersilö nature trails of Viiankiaapa.
- A lean-to shelter is found at the end of the Siurunmaa nature trail of Viiankiaapa.
It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated camfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to the Lapp 'kota' hut along the Kersilö nature trail.
- A place to get drinking water is available along the longer Kersilö nature trail of Viiankiaapa, in Särkikoskenmaa.
- Read more about hiking and drinking water.
- There are no waste bins in the reserve, so hikers are themselves responsible for waste management. This means that you must carry all litter you cause away with you and take it to a recycling point. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about hiking without littering.
- A dry toilet can be found along the longer Kersilö nature trail of Viiankiaapa, in Särkikoskenmaa.
- A dry toilet is available at the starting point of the Kersilö nature trails of Viiankiaapa.
- There is a dry toilet at the end of the Siurunmaa nature trail of Viiankiaapa.
- It is advisable to bring your own roll of bathroom tissue.
There are no designated places for overnight stays on the site. Temporary camping is allowed as provided by everyman's rights.
Services for the Disabled
Viiankiaapa has no special services for the disabled.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
For information on services in the Sodankylä area, go to the Sodankylä website (visitsodankyla.fi).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.