Services in Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas National Park
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
- At Nummikangas
- At Salomaa camping site
Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden also at the campfire places if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof.
- There is a well at Salomaa camping site: Water must be boiled before drinking.
- There ia a well at the Nummikangas campfire place. The water has been tested and suitable for drinking.
- Surface water, such as water from lakes, rivers and brooks should be boiled before drinking, because the quality of the water varies in different areas.
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering
- There are dry toilets at both of the campfire places.
- Camping is allowed at Salomaa camping site, south of Lake Kauhalammi.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- More information on accommodation in the surrounding area can be found on the website of the municipality of Karvia (karvia.fi, in Finnish) and the town of Kauhajoki (kauhajoki.fi, in Finnish).
- Loma RA-Iso (lomaraiso.com) provides accommodation services.
- There are no special services for the disabled in the National Park.
- Kyrönkangas summer road which goes through the National Park is accessible by wheelchair, recommendably with assistance. The duckboards on the mires are narrow, and therefore not suitable for wheelchair users.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- There are all the basic services in the centre of the municipality of Karvia, 11 km away.
Sights in the Surrounding Area
- Mustansaarenkeidas is a protected mire at Isojoki, where there are 1,3 km long circular duckboard trail (also suitable for wheelchail users) and an observation tower. The area is managed by Metsähallitus. More information from Metsähallitus, Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (tue-fri 10:00-14:00), seitseminen(at)metsa.fi.
- Hyypänjokilaakso in Kauhajoki is a landscape area of national value.
- Lauhanvuori National Park
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.