Services in Tuntsa Wilderness Area
Customer Service and Guidance
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava provides information about the area.
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations
Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in Tuntsa Area.
Guided excursions: hiking, snow-shoe walking, cross-country skiing
- Naruskan retkeilymaja (naruska.com) offer services in Tuntsa area for traveller's.
- canoes, sauna
- keyservice for Takkaselkä and Härkätunturi reservable wilderness huts
- transporations to the starting points of hiking trails by customer's own car
These enterprises have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism (metsa.fi) when operating in the wilderness area.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Kiosks
- The closest shops are at Savukoski (savukoski.fi) and Salla (salla.fi). There are small kiosks at Tuntsa Pub and at the Tulppio cabins.
Campfire Sites, Huts, Cooking Shelters and Campfire Shelters
- There are two wilderness huts in Tuntsa Wilderness Area.Visitors can prepare meals and stay overnight in these huts.
- Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut
- The following campfire sites, wilderness huts, cooking shelters and Campfire shelters are situated outside Tuntsa Wilderness Area on the UKK Hiking Trail. They are listed here from south to north by location.
- Karhutunturi, lapp hut (a bit off-trail)
- Halti, lapp hut
- Pystökoski, lapp hut
- Naruskan tammi cooking shelter
- Sorsa, lapp hut
- Takkaselkä, reservable wilderness hut
- Nuoluskuru, lapp hut
- Ylimmäinen Nuolusoja, campfire site
- Tuntsajoki, cooking shelter
- We ask that you light campfires at designated campfire sites. Metsähallitus permits hikers to light campfires using branches and twigs in other spots without a permit if there is no campfire site within 0.5 km of your location.
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). You can however use a camping cooker.
- This prohibition does not apply to the cooking shelters at Naruskan tammi and Tuntsajoki and to the lapp huts at Karhutunturi, Halti, Pystökoski, Sorsa and Nuoluskurun. It also does not apply to stoves of the Murhahaara, Härkätunturi and Takkaselkä huts.
- For more information on lighting campfires see the Hiking in Finland -pages.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- Visitors are asked to take measures in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. There are waste bins at the area's wilderness huts, but visitors are encouraged to bring waste out of the area.
- Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- There are dry toilets at Murhahaara open wilderness hut and Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut.
- There are also dry toilets at the Campfire shelters, cooking shelters and wilderness huts situated outside of the wilderness area on the UKK Hiking Trail.
- There are no camping sites within the wilderness area, but you may camp there as it is an Everyman's Right (environment.fi).
- Hikers may also stay overnight in the Campfire shelters situated on the Naruska - Tulppio section of the UKK Hiking Trail. A list of Campfire shelters higher on this page.
Open and Reservable Wilderness Huts
- The two wilderness huts found in Tuntsa Wilderness Area are Murhahaara open wilderness hut and Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut. There is a sauna, which is open to the public at Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut.
- Visitors may make reservations for the reservable hut at the Eräluvat webstore (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi) or by contacting Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
- Takkaselkä reservable hut is situated on the UKK Hiking Trail (Naruska - Tulppio section).
- The following wilderness huts are situated near to the hiking trail but not directly on it:
- Tarikkajärvi open wilderness hut
- Hirvikaltio open wilderness hut
- Suttikämppä open wilderness hut at Tulppio
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- For more information on accommodation in the area see the municipality of Savukoski (savukoski.fi) and Salla (salla.fi) websites and on the Lapland tourism website (laplandfinland.com).
- Ask about renting hiking equipment at local tourist enterprises. More information on local enterprises on the Savukoski (savukoski.fi) and Salla (salla.fi) municipality websites.
Services for the Disabled
- There are no special services for the disabled in the area.