Services in Tuntsa Wilderness Area
Customer Service and Guidance
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava provides information about the area.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Kiosks
- The closest shops are at Savukoski (savukoski.fi) and Salla (visitsalla.fi). There are small kiosks at Tuntsa Pub and at the Tulppio cabins.
Campfire Sites, Huts, Cooking Shelters and Campfire Shelters
There are two wilderness huts in Tuntsa Wilderness Area.Visitors can prepare meals and stay overnight in these huts.
- The following campfire sites, wilderness huts, cooking shelters and Campfire shelters are situated outside Tuntsa Wilderness Area on the UKK Hiking Trail. They are listed here from south to north by location.
- Karhutunturi, kota-hut (a bit off-trail) (excursionmap.fi)
- Halti, lapp hut
- Pystökoski, lapp hut
- Naruskan tammi cooking shelter
- Vaarinkehuma, reservable wilderness hut and rental hut
- Sorsa, lapp hut
- Takkaselkä, reservable wilderness hut
- Nuoluskuru, lapp hut
- Ylimmäinen Nuolusoja, campfire site
- Tuntsajoki, cooking shelter
- We ask that you light campfires at designated campfire sites. Metsähallitus permits hikers in Lapland area to light campfires using branches and twigs in other spots without a permit if there is no campfire site within 0.5 km of your location. Please note that this does not apply to other areas in Finland.
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). You can however use a camping cooker.
- This prohibition does not apply to the cooking shelters at Naruskan tammi and Tuntsajoki and to the lapp huts at Karhutunturi, Halti, Pystökoski, Sorsa and Nuoluskuru. It also does not apply to stoves of the Murhahaara, Härkätunturi and Takkaselkä huts.
- For more information on lighting campfires see the Hiking in Finland -pages.
- The surface water from the lakes, rivers and brooks must be boiled before use. Water in the springs and running water in the brooks is usually good for drinking. However, the quality of the water cannot be monitored, so the use of natural water is at your own risk.
- Check the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- Visitors are asked to take measures in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. There are waste bins at the area's wilderness huts, but visitors are encouraged to bring waste out of the area.
- Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- There are dry toilets at Murhahaara open wilderness hut and Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut.
- There are also dry toilets at the Campfire shelters, cooking shelters and wilderness huts situated outside of the wilderness area on the UKK Hiking Trail.
- There are no camping sites within the wilderness area, but you may camp there as it is an Everyman's Right (environment.fi).
- Hikers may also stay overnight in the Campfire shelters situated on the Naruska - Tulppio section of the UKK Hiking Trail. A list of Campfire shelters higher on this page.
Open and Reservable Wilderness Huts
- The two wilderness huts found in Tuntsa Wilderness Area are Murhahaara open wilderness hut and Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut. There is a sauna, which is open to the public at Härkätunturi open and reservable wilderness hut.
- Visitors may make reservations for the reservable hut and rental hut online at eräluvat.fi or by contacting Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
- Takkaselkä reservable hut is situated on the UKK Hiking Trail (Naruska - Tulppio section).
- Vaarinkehuma reservable hut and rental hut is situated on the UKK Hiking Trail (Naruska - Tulppio section).
- The following wilderness huts are situated near to the hiking trail but not directly on it:
- Tarikkajärvi open wilderness hut
- Hirvikaltio open wilderness hut
- Suttikämppä open wilderness hut at Tulppio
Lodging in the Surrounding Area and Equipment Rental
- For more information on accommodation or on renting hiking equipment in the area, please see the tourism pages of municipalities Savukoski (korvatunturi.fi) and Salla (visitsalla.fi), and the Lapland tourism website (visitlapland.fi).
- There are no accessible services in the area.