Activities in Oulujärvi Hiking Area
The hiking trail network of Manamansalo Island includes several circular trails of various length, and connection trails between them. There are about 20 km of marked trails, of which about 17 km are located on Manamansalo Island and 4 km on Kuostonsaari Island.
In the Oulujärvi Hiking Area, there is a lot for fishing enthusiasts to choose from. There are fishing options both at Lake Oulujärvi, which is abundant in fish, and at the clear ponds of Manamansalo Island. The Manamansalo recreational fishing area comprises more than ten ponds, the natural fish population of which includes the pike (Esox lucius), the perch (Perca fluviatilis) and the roach. The natural fish population is regularly complemented by stocking salmonoid fry (such as whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus) and grayling (Thymallus thymallus)). Catch-worthy brown trout (Salmo trutta) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) are stocked in some of the ponds in the area.
If you want to fish, you need to pay a fisheries management fee (eraluvat.fi). For fishing, you will need licence no. 5571 Manamansalo. You can purchase fishing licences from Metsähallitus netstore (eraluvat.fi).
Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish and Swedish).
- Read more about the Manamansalo fishing licenses here (eraluvat.fi).
Sights and Sceneries
The most impressive sights in Oulujärvi Hiking Area are Lake Oulujärvi itself, and its sandy beaches.
- Activities in Different Seasons: Oulujärvi Hiking Area, there are activities around the year: swimming, sunbathing and hiking in the summer, berry and mushroom picking in the autumn, and skiing trips to the islands of Lake Oulujärvi in the winter. And, of course, fishing around the year.
- Bird Watching: The large sea-like open water areas, the small lakes, and the light pine forests are excellent places for bird watching. More information on the bird species.
- Canoeing or Rowing: Lake Oulujärvi is a popular area for boating. It is also possible to get around by a canoe or a row boat. On the small lakes inside Manamansalo Island, you can go row boating, too, but bringing your own boat is not allowed. Boats on Lake Särkinen of Manamansalo Island can be rented from the camping ground.
- Cycling: Manamansalo is an excellent destination for bike trips. The bike trails of Manamansalo Island have a connection trail to Manamansalo camping ground.
- Hunting: Hunting is not common in the hiking area. The local people of the municipality of Vaala have a right to hunt on the state-owned land inside their municipality, also in the hiking area. To other people, hunting rights are sold only for the state-owned water areas of Lake Oulujärvi for hunting water birds. The island of Kuosto is part of a moose hunting area. More information from Metsähallitus netstore (eraluvat.fi).
- Picking Berries and Mushrooms: Picking berries and mushrooms is allowed in the hiking area according to the Everyman's right.
- Sailing and Motor Boating: There are landing places at Kuoston Kulma of Kuostonsaari Island, and on the islands of Kaarresalo and Honkinen, but the boat harbour of Manamansalo Island is not at use. The pier has rottened and the boat way has got too low.
- Ski Cross-country off Trails: Vaala municipality maintains about 10 km skiing trails in the Oulujärvi area. The terrain is suitable for making your own trails, and the frozen lake is also a good place to go skiing.
- Swimming: Swimming is allowed everywhere in the hiking area. On the long beaches everyone can find their own favourite swimming spot. One of the best beaches of Kainuu region can be found at Manamansalo camping ground. You'll swim in the lakes and ponds of the national park at your own risk.