Services in Valtavaara-Pyhävaara
Customer Service and Guidance
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Valtavaara Nature Reserve
Enterprises and other organisations offering services in the nature reserve. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Restaurants
- There are two shops and a bar on main road 5 at the intersection of the road which leads to Ruka. They are about 4 km from Valtavaara Nature Reserve.
- There are many restaurants and other eateries at Ruka Holiday Resort.
Lean-to Shelters and Campfire Sites
- Suolampi lean-to shelter
- Valtavaaranlampi lean-to shelter
- Valtavaara campfire shelter
Lighting campfires is forbidden during the forest fire warnings.
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- The areas ground waters - in lakes and rivers - should be boiled before drinking, as the water's quality changes from place to place.
- We recommend that visitors fill water bottles at customer service points. Drinking water from rivers and lakes is at your own risk.
- There are no waste-bins in the nature reserve. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There are dry toilets at Suolampi and Valtavaara lean-to shelters and at Valtavaara campfire shelter.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Suolampi and Valtavaaranlampi lean-to shelters and Valtavaara campfire shelter are situated in the nature reserve.
- Camping is allowed for short periods in the vicinity of lean-to shelters, campfire sites and campfire shelters.
Day Trip Hut
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are versatile lodging enterprises and tourist services at Ruka Holiday Resort (ruka.fi) and in the area surrounding Ruka. There are for example quite a few hotels and rental cabins.
- Viipus Camping Ground is by main road 5, about 5 km from Valtavaara Nature Reserve. For more information contact Kuusamo Info (ruka.fi).
- There are rentable parking spaces for caravans at the central square in Ruka.
- There is a farm which offers lodging 30 km from Valtavaara right by road E5 to Kemijärvi. Visitors can enjoy farm life and barnyard animals.
- Hiking and outdoor recreation equipment can be rented from several enterprises at Ruka (ruka.fi).
- For more information contact Kuusamo Info (ruka.fi).
There are no accessible services in the nature reserve.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest banks, medical centre, public swimming pool and spa are in the centre of the town of Kuusamo.
- A pharmacy, a public telephone (at RukaKlubi), a post office, shops, a fuel distribution point, a taxi service, a gym and equipment rental enterprises can be found at Ruka.
- Kuusamo Bird Watching Club (kuusamonlintukerho.fi, in Finnish)
- Sights in the surrounding are: Oulanka National Park, Riisitunturi National Park, Ruka Holiday Resort (ruka.fi).
- For information on fishing permits contact Kuusamo Info (ruka.fi).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.