Pyhä-Luosto Trail Directions and Maps
During a forest fire warning (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi), fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue or in fireplaces at huts, but only with extreme caution. The one who lights the fire is always responsible for its safety. Making a fire at campfire sites can be banned locally.
The flood destroyed the Vuomakasjoki bridge on the Nordkalott Trail and a new one will be built in 2022. You have to wade across the Vuomakasjoki River.
- Drive along Highway no. 4 from the village of Torvinen for about 6.7 km towards Sodankylä and turn to right onto the forest road. At the crossroads, you will see the brown-and-white signpost "Pyhä-Luosto".
- There is no designated parking area by the forest road, so when parking, please ensure that your car will not block other traffic.
- From Highway no. 4 between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä by Torvinen, road no. 962 turns towards Pyhä-Luosto.
- From Highway no. 4 by the village of Aska, road no. 19746 turns towards Alakitinen, which also leads to Pyhä-Luosto.
- From Highway no. 5 between Kemijärvi and Pelkosenniemi by Vuostimo, road no. 962 turns towards Pyhä-Luosto.
- You can park your car in the parking area by the Luosto downhill skiing slopes or by Hotel Pyhätunturi, or in the Rykimäkero or Luostonloma parking area by Pyhä-Luosto Road (no. 962).
- Driving instructions to the Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
- There is a coach connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) on the Rovaniemi - Sodankylä route to the Käyräsvaara starting point, which is situated by Highway no. 4.
- From the trains and planes arriving in Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi, there is a coach connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) to Pyhä-Luosto. A coach (pyha.fi) operates between the Pyhä and Luosto Fell Centres daily, and several times a day in winter.
- Pyhä Luosto, vedenkestävä ulkoilukartta, water resistant outdoor map 1:25 000, Karttakeskus 2020. You can buy the map at the Pyhä-Luosto Nature Centre Naava, Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookshops.
- Pyhä Luosto -tunturikartta, vedenkestävä: Pyhä-Luosto fell map, water resistant, 1:25 000, Calazo 2018. Maps can be bought eg. from Calazzo and at the Pyhä-Luosto Nature Centre Naava.
- Pyhä-Luosto Geological outdoor map, 1:50 000, GTK 2007. You can buy the map at the Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps, U433 Luosto, U511 Pelkosenniemi, T522 Tapionniemi, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2007. The maps are sold by the Pyhä-Luosto Nature Centre Naava, Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, and by well-stocked bookstores.
- Retkeily GT Pohjois-Suomi: Outdoor GT map Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and by well-stocked bookstores.