Instructions and Rules in Laajalahti Nature Reserve
Instructions on Exploring Laajalahti Nature Reserve
In the Nature Reserve, the following are
- To protect the area's birds visitors must stay on marked trails and within the area marked on maps arounds Nature House Villa Elfvik (map). Please do not disturb nesting birds by getting too close to their nests.
- When Laajalahti Bay is frozen over visitors are allowed to move around anywhere in the nature reserve.
- Picking berries and mushrooms is forbidden in the nature reserve.
- Camping and lighting campfires are also forbidden.
- Disturbing grazing animals is forbidden.
- As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland:
- Before your trip see also page What is New.
- The peak seasons at Laajalahti tend to be during bird migration times in spring and autumn.
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.
1. Respect nature.
2. Mainly use marked trails.
3. Camp only where it is allowed.
4. Light your campfire only where it is allowed.
5. Do not litter.