Isojärvi National Park Trails
Starting Points for Trails
The main starting points for the trails of the National Park are located at the Heretty and Kalalahti parking areas.
- Heretty Nature Trail, 3 km, goes round Kannuslahti Bay of Lake Kurkijärvi. Boards along the trail tell about the history of forestry.
- Services: Kannuslahti cooking shelter about 100 metres from the trail. There are signs to the campfire site.
- Heretty Nature Trails information boards (julkaisut.metsa.fi)
Although the trails of the National Park are not marked as actual circle trails, the signposted routes of the park form many circular trails of different lengths. When planning a route and walking along it, it is wise to utilise the map of the excursionmap.fi service. Some route options are presented below.
Heretty as the starting point:
- Heretty - Latokuusikko - Kuorejärvi - Heretty, 7 km. The trail's difficulty level is intermediate.
- Services: Campfire site, camping site and lean-to shelter on the shore of Lake Kuorejärvi, cooking shelter at Kannuslahti Bay.
- Sights: Heretty Cabin, Heretty Nature Trail, the Beaver's (Castor canadensis) "forest works" at Lake Hevosjärvi, Latokuusikko herb-rich forest.
- Heretty - Latokuusikko - Vahterjärvi - Heretty, 10 km. The trail's difficulty level is intermediate.
- Services: Campfire site, camping site and lean-to shelter at Lake Vahterjärvi, cooking shelter at Kannuslahti Bay.
- Sights: Heretty Cabin, Heretty, Nature Trail, the Beaver's (Castor canadensis) "forest works" at Lake Hevosjärvi, Latokuusikko herb-rich forest, Lortikanvuori Hill Nature Trail, the bicycle road between Heretty and Lortikka.
The Kalalahti parking area at the end of the Huhtala road as the starting point:
- Kalalahti Trail 4.5 km (clockwise). For the most part, the trail goes along the remains of an old forest road and is therefore easy to walk.
- Services: Campfire place, camping site and lean-to shelter in Kalalahti.
- Sights: Beavers' "forest works" in Kalakorpi.
- Vahterjärven Kierros Trail 11 km (clockwise). The trail's difficulty level varies from easy to intermediate. The most demanding stretch is the trail from Kalalahti to Lake Vahterjärvi.
- Services: Campfire site, camping site and lean-to shelter in Kalalahti; campfire site, lean-to shelter and camping site by Lake Vahterjärvi; campfire site on the southern shore of the Lortikkalampi pond.
- Sights: Lortikanvuori Hill Nature Trail, the bicycle road between Heretty and Lortikka, the Lortikka loggers' cabin, the beavers' "forest works" in Kalakorpi woods.
The circle trails mentioned above can also be combined into a trail of about 20 km: Heretty – Latokuusikko forest – Lake Vahterjärvi - Kalalahti - Lortikka – Heretty.
The trails are marked with blue colour.
Mountain Biking Trails
Isojärvi MTB -trail (julkaisut.metsa.fi) is under constuction in summer 2019. The trail is 16 kilometres long and starts and ends at Heretty. Please note that in Isojärvi national park mountain biking is allowed only on this trail and roads.
Walking with a Baby Pram
The trail from Heretty to the campfire site at Kannuslahti (500 metres) is accessible also with a baby pram.