Services in Kolovesi National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Kolovesi Nature Information Hut in Enonkoski.
- Open from June to August.
- At the Nature Information Hut you can get information on exploring the National Park, renting canoes and boats, and obtaining fishing permits and licences.
- In other times of year, information on Kolovesi National Park and other nature destinations nearby can be got at Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari.
- Most of the information is also available in English, Swedish and German.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
The nearest shops are in the municipality centres of Enonkoski and Savonranta. It is about 15 km to Enonkoski from Käkövesi boat launching place, 22 km from Kirkkoranta boat launching place and 18 km from the parking area of Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail. It is about 21 km to Savonranta from Kirkkoranta and Nahkiaissalo and 25 km from Käkövesi boat launching place.
Campfire Sites and Cooking Shelter
There is a cooking shelter at Käkövesi boat launching place. There are also campfire sites at
- Pitkäsaari Island, north
- Lohilahti Bay and
- at Kirkkoranta boat launching place.
To Pitkäsaari south camp-fire place we don't bring firewood anymore. Use your own camp stove when making meals. You can pick up firewood from the nearby fireplace (150 m). Please, don't take firewood from the forest!
To Lapinniemi camp-fire place we don't bring firewood anymore. Use your own camp stove when making meals. Please, don't take firewood from the forest!
Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden if the forest or grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect.
- The prohibition does not apply to the covered fireplaces with a flue at Kirkkoranta and Lohilahti lean-to shelter.
- In the National Park drinking water is only available from surface water (from the lake).
- It is recommended that you boil the water before drinking it, as the quality of the water is changeable.
- In the National Park there are waste-bins in Kirkkoranta. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area or bring them to the Waste-bins in Kirkkoranta. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are composting dry toilets at the camping sites of Pitkäsaari, Pyylinoja, Lapinniemi, Laajakaarre, Syväniemi, Hirviniemi, Vaajasalo and Lohilahti and the parking area of Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail.
- Toilets at Käkövesi and Kirkkoranta boat launching places are emptied with suction. Do not put any food waste or other garbage in them.
- Accessible toilets in Kirkkoranta.
- Toilet paper is good to have along.
At the camping sites, there are wooden tent platforms that can be attached to each other. The 13 camping sites of the National Park are located at
- Lohilahti Bay (2 sites), rocky shoreline, very few camping spots, tent platforms.
- the southern end of Vaajasalo Island, rocky cape, very few camping spots, tent platforms.
- Hirviniemi, shallow rocky beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Syväniemi (2 sites), a cliff faced and rocky shoreline, tent platforms.
- Laajakaarre, a cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Only a limited amount of camping spots, tent platforms.
- Lapinniemi, rocky shoreline, very few camping spots, tent platforms.
- Pyylinoja, rocky shoreline. There is no level terrain for camping, tent platforms.
- and Pitkäsaari Island (2 sites which are accessible also by motor boat), rocky shoreline, very little space for camping, tent platforms.
- Käkövesi information- and boat launching place.
- Kirkkoranta information- and boat launching place, tent platforms.
- Mäntysalonkämppä rental hut is for summer time use. It is situated on the eastern shore of Mäntysalo Island on the northern end of Kolovesi National Park.
- Huhtiniemi house serves as a rental hut but most of the season it is reserved for the shepherd weeks. Huhtiniemi is situated in Rekitaipale, on the southwestern part of Kolovesi National Park, and it is accessible by car.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Villa Kolovesi, a log cabin near the National Park (oravivillage.com)
- Cottageholidays (cottageholidays.fi)
Outdoor equipment is rented by several enterprises. Look at the services offered by enterprises with which Metsähallitus has a cooperative agreement.
The toilet and the campfire site in Kirkkoranta are accessible for wheelchair users.
Special Services for Boaters
- The Heinävesi Water Route leads along the north border of the area. The depth of the route is 1.8 m.
- You can get to the Mäntysalo Nature Trail starting point by motor boat. Nature trail landing point (62°18,44' 28°44,51')
- Find more information on Kolovesi excursion harbours and other boater's services here. More information on excursion harbours can also be found in the book Veneilykesä 2018 (satamaopas.fi)
- Please note that motor boating is allowed only in the northern part of the park. The two small excursion harbours on Pitkäsaari Island are the only harbours inside Kolovesi National Park which can be reached by motor boat. In addition the starting point for Mäntysalo Trail is accessible by motor boat.
- There are boat launch points at Kirkkoranta and Käkövesi.
- There are canoe piers at the south end of Pitkäsaari Island, at Cape Lapinniemi, Laajakaarre, Kirkkoranta, Cape Syvänniemi, Cape Hirviniemi, Vaajasalo and Lohilahti Bay (west).
Other services in the Surrounding Area
The nearest banks, petrol stations, and other services are located in Enonkoski (enonkoski.fi, in Finnish) which is about 15 km south from Käkövesi boat launching place, and 18 km from the parking area of Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail.
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Kolovesi Nature Information Hut
(during the summer)