Kivitunturi Area Instructions and Rules
Instructions on Exploring the Kivitunturi Area
In Kivitunturi, the following are
- Hiking and camping in the area are permitted as Everyman's Rights, but we recommend to camp by the official rest areas
- Picking berries and mushrooms
- Making fire, which must happen on official campfire sites
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- Allowing pets to run at large
- Driving motor vehicles, with the exception of roads designated for motorised vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area or damage structures located there
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in Kivitunturi area without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
- If you plan to hike off-trails in the Kivitunturi area, you must be skilled at orienteering.
- Hikers should always have a precise enough map and a compass at hand.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency.
- More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Hiking in Finland:
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.