Services in Hiidenportti National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola tel.int. +358 206 39 6380
- Palolampi information point
- No permanent guide is present.
Services Offered by Enterprises and other Organisations in Hiidenportti National Park
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the national park.
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
The National Park has campfire sites, lean-to shelters and cooking shelters
- Palolampi: information point in shelter, campfire site, cooking shelter and well
- Lakes Porttilammit, Kitulanlampi and Oravijärvi and Allaslahti Bay: campfire site and lean-to shelter
- There is a lean-to shelter also by lake Urpolampi, but the constructions will be removed in near future. Also the campfire site by lake Pitkä-Portti will be removed.
- The Palolampi rental hut is ment for serving coffee or food for groups. More information from Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola. Note that the rental hut is not suitable for overnight stays.
Note that when a forest fire warning is in effect open fires are forbidden even at campfire sites. Though the owen in Palolampi cooking shelter can be used during forest fire warning.
- There is a well at Palolampi information point.
Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- Recycling points can be found at Palolampi and Urpovaara parking areas.
- There are dry toilets at each campfire site and by each lean-to shelter in the National Park.
- Camping is permitted in the National Park in the vicinity of lean-to shelters and campfire sites, as well as, near Palolampi information point. Note that the Palolampi rental hut is not suitable for overnights.
- There are lean-to shelters at Lakes Porttilammit, Kitulanlampi and Oravijärvi and at Allaslahti Bay.
- Caravans may be parked at Palolampi parking area, but there are no special services for caravan tourists.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- For information on accommodations in the surrounding area contact Sotkamo (sotkamo.fi), Kuhmo (kuhmo.fi) or Nurmes (nurmes.fi) tourist information.
- The terrain in Hiidenportti National Park is quite demanding.
- Visitors with wheelchairs access areas near Palolampi information point.
- There is no toilet for the disabled in the National Park.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest shops, banks, petrol stations and other services are in the municipality centres of Sotkamo (sotkamo.fi), Kuhmo (kuhmo.fi) and Nurmes (nurmes.fi).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.