Services in Hiidenportti National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola tel.int. +358 206 39 6380
- Palolampi information point
- No permanent guide is present.
The Palolampi Café at the main information point serves during the summer time. Check the updated information on the Hiiden Torppa facebook-site (facebook.com/hiidentorppa ay & palolammen kahvio). The café sells also Hiidenportti T-shirts and other products. Payment only with cash.
Services Offered by Enterprises and other Organisations in Hiidenportti National Park
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the national park.
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
The National Park has campfire sites, lean-to shelters and cooking shelters
- Palolampi: information point in a shelter, campfire site, cooking shelter and a well
- Lakes Porttilampi, Kitulanlampi and Oravijärvi and Allaslahti at the southern border of the national park: a campfire site and a lean-to shelter
- NOTE: in some old maps there still are sings of the Urpolampi lean-to shelter and Pitkä-Portti campfire site, but these constructions have been removed and these services no longer exist.
- The Palolampi rental hut is ment for serving coffee or food for groups. More information from Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola. Note that the rental hut is not suitable for overnight stays.
Note that when a forest fire warning is in effect open fires are forbidden even at the maintained campfire sites. The owen in Palolampi cooking shelter can be used during forest fire warning.
- There is a well at the Palolampi information point.
Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter (not in the toilets at the Palolampi parking area), and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be burned in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- Recycling points can be found at the Palolampi and Urpovaara parking areas.
- There are dry toilets at each campfire site and by each lean-to shelter in the national park.
- At the Palolampi parking area there are two accessible toilets
- There is a dry toilet also at the Käärmesärkkä parking area.
- Camping is permitted in the national park in the vicinity of lean-to shelters and campfire sites, as well as near Palolampi information point. Note that the Palolampi rental hut is not suitable for overnights.
- There are lean-to shelters at lakes Porttilampi, Kitulanlampi and Oravijärvi and at Allaslahti on the southern border of the national park.
- Caravans may be parked at Palolampi parking area, but there are no special services for caravan tourists.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- For information on accommodations in the surrounding area contact Sotkamo (sotkamo.fi), Kuhmo (kuhmo.fi) or Nurmes (nurmes.fi) tourist informations.
- The terrain in Hiidenportti National Park is quite demanding.
- Visitors with restricted accessibility can move about in the vicinity of the Palolampi information point.
- There is an accessible toilet in the Palolampi parking area.