Instructions and Rules in Aulanko Nature Reserve
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
Instructions on Exploring Aulanko Nature Reserve
In the Nature Reserve, the following are
- Walking and skiing,
- Driving cars in the summer from 8 am to 11 pm on the ring road,
- Picking edible mushrooms and berries.
- According to the rules of conduct, mountain biking is allowed only on routes best suited for the activity: the ring road and gravel tracks (pdf-map in Finnish). Biking is allowed on the routes which are marked on the map with bold line (rengastie) and dashed line).
- Riding is allowed only on the roads marked for this purpose.
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing are allowed on Lake Aulangonjärvi and Lake Vanajavesi by the Everyman's right (ym.fi). For lure fishing, you need the fisheries management fee (eraluvat.fi). Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- Camping and lighting campfires,
- Pets running at large,
- Damaging signboards or other constructions and experimental plots,
- Damaging or disturbing vegetation, soil or other natural features, and disturbing other visitors,
- Hunting and fishing.
Equipment and Safety
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Outdoor Guide:
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.