Simojärvi-Soppana Instructions and Rules
Instructions on Exploring the Simojärvi and Soppana Areas
In the Simojärvi and Soppana Areas the following are
- Hiking and camping, which are Everyman's Rights (ymparisto.fi), but we recommend that you camp in the vicinity of huts and lean-to shelters.
- picking berries and mushrooms
- lighting campfires which is only permitted at spots designated for it.
- fishing, which is only allowed if you have the required permits. Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning or grass fire warning is in effect
- Lighting campfires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning or a grass fire warning has been issued for the area. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The prohibition does not apply to the stoves of Porosaari day trip hut and Kenttäsaari open wilderness huts, the lapp huts in Lamanginsaari and Paha-Paasonjärvi, and the cooking shelters in Korvajokisuun and Yli-Soppanajärvi.
- pets running at large
- driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the Simojärvi and Soppana Areas without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
- When boating or canoeing, an appropriate map is always needed.
- When out on large bodies of water boaters should be prepared for changing weather conditions. The waves in the open areas of Lake Simojärvi can get quite high and rough especially when there are high winds. Fog can make orienteering difficult. When out on the water boaters must also be cautious of reefs and rocks. During winter visitors must be cautious when on the ice.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Read more on safety.
- The winds are often strong at the areas' lakes and therefore windproof clothing is essential when out on the water. If visitors travel in the area by boat they should have a Simojärvi boating map and a compass with them.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Read more about equipment needed in the area.
- The most popular time for hiking in the Simojärvi and Soppana areas is during summer holidays. There are also many berry pickers in the area when the cloudberry crop is ripe.
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.