Services in Linnansaari National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Sammakkoniemi Camping
- Guided tours (pre ordered) in the National Park.
- Maps and fishing permits are sold.
- Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari is located in Savonlinna, about 40 km from the main island of the park.
- Information on hiking, boating and canoeing in Linnansaari National Park and in other nature destinations nearby.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés and Kiosks
- In Linnansaari there is a kiosk at Sammakkoniemi Camping. It sells for example coffee, and groups can get meals by reservation. It`s possible to pay with debit-/creditcard.
Campfire Places and Cooking Shelters
- There is a campfire place and a cooking shelter at Sammakkoniemi Camping.
- All the camping sites in the National Park have campfire places.
Please note that if the forest or the grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, lighting campfires is forbidden everywhere, except at Sammakkoniemi Camping.
- There is a well behind the cooking shelter at Sammakkoniemi Camping. It is recommended to boil the water before drinking.
- The use of natural water from lakes and brooks is at your own risk. It is recommended to boil the water before drinking, as the quality of the surface water is changeable.
- In the National Park there are no waste-bins. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. There is a recycling point on the grounds of Oravi village shop next to Oravi Canoeing Centre. Read more about Hiking without littering.
There are dry toilets at all the camping sites, and at Sammakkoniemi Camping. Toilet paper is good to have along.
Temporary camping is permitted in designated areas from 1st May to 31st December. At other times, camping is permitted only on the main island subject to the permission of Metsähallitus.
Camping is only allowed at designated camping sites 1.5.-31.12. The camping ground is equipped with a campfire site, a firewood shelter, a dry toilet and an information board. There are also loops for attaching boats to on the rocky shore. In addition to Sammakkoniemi Camping, there are several camping sites in the National Park:
- Hietasaari Island 3 areas,southern, eastern and western ends. A shallow sandy beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Seurasaari Island, northern shore, in the middle of the island. A shallow sandy beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Kaitasaari Island, north-western end. A cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Pöllänsaari Island, western shore. Rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping on the old now forested meadow next to the shore.
- Iso-Tuunaa Island, north-western shore. A shallow sandy cove. Only a limited amount of level camping spots.
- Louhisaari Island, southern end. Rocky shoreline. Very few camping spots with level terrain.
- Petäikköluoto Island, northern end. A cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Mäntyluoto Island, eastern shore. A cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Very little space for camping.
- Linnansaari Island, northern shore, at Perpulanluhta. Rocky shoreline. A shallow sandy bech at the bottom of the bay. Only a limited amount of level camping spots
- Pieni-Lappi Island. Rocky shoreline. Very little space for camping.
- Kirvessaari Island 2 areas, western and southern shore. A shallow sandy beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Hirvisaari Island, south-eastern and north-western shore. Two separate campfire sites, shared firewood shelter and dry toilet. Sandy beach with a rather shallow shoreline. Only a limited number of level camping spots.
- Paavalinsaari Island, northern end.A shallow, cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Myhkyrä Island. Rocky and shallow sandy peach. Very few camping spots.
- Huuhinsaari Island, western shore. A cliff faced and rocky and shallow shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Taivalsaari Island, the cape at the northern end. Rocky shoreline. Very few camping spots.
- Harronsaari Island, northern end. A shallow sandy cover. Only a limited amount of camping spots
- Vuorikiukas Island, north-western shore. A shallow sandy cover. Only a limited amount of camping spots. More camping spots on top of the hill.
At Sammakkoniemi Camping (oravivillage.com) it is possible to camp throughout the time of open water (usually May-October). Camping is permitted in Sammakkoniemi camping area from 1st January to 30th April subject to the permission of Metsähallitus.
- Located in the southern part of Linnansaari Island, about 5 km from Oravi and 12 km from Porosalmi.
- Camping ground free of charge, except during regular boat service (2020: 19.6. - 29.8.) More information (oravivillage.com)
- 5 cabins which can accommodate 4 people each
- No heating
- Can be booked at the website (oravivillage.com).
- Rental sauna
- Guidance shelter and guidance by reservation (oravivillage.com).
- Guidance in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- Canoe and row boat rental (oravivillage.com).
- Excursion harbour for 10 boats, a fee is charged (oravivillage.com). A smaller boat stage for a couple of boats at Kamarluoto near the entrance channel for the camping ground.
- Kiosk is open during the period of regular passenger boat service, at other times as and when needed.
- Meals for groups by reservation
- Cooking shelter and 2 campfire places
- Dry toilets
In a Boat
Staying overnight in own boat is allowed everywhere else except in the restricted area during the time when landing is forbidden (1.1. - 15.7.)
- The enterprises with which Metsähallitus has a cooperative agreement rent outdoor equipment. The enterprises are situated in several locations around the national park (in Rantasalmi, Oravi and Savonlinna).
- The regular boat is equipped with a ramp and can be used with a wheelchair.
- There are two trails on the main island that are accessible by wheelchair with an assistant: One is from Sammakkoniemi Camping to Linnansaari Croft (0,7 km) and the other goes along the nature trail through spruce forest and herb-rich forest to the crossroads of the Croft and Linnanlampi trail (0,3 km).
- There is a dry toilet, a cooking shelter and a campfire place suitable for the disabled at Sammakkoniemi.
Services for Boaters
- Most of the camping sites are only suitable for visitors with smaller boats, but there are also camping sites accessible with larger boats.
- Linnansaari National Park has 20 landing places.
- Services for boaters in the surrounding areas.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Oravi Village Shop (oravivillage.com) is the closest store to the main island of the Park.
- There is also a post office and a restaurant in the village of Oravi.
- Most services can be found in the centre of the municipality of Rantasalmi (rantasalmi.fi).
- More information about the services for travellers in the surrounding areas can be got at Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari, Rantasalmi Travel (rantasalmitravel.com) and Visitsavonlinna (visitsavonlinna.fi).