Instructions and Rules in Auttiköngäs
Instructions on Exploring Auttiköngäs
Please note, that parts of the old structures on the trail have been taken down and the route has been altered. The trail is now classified as demanding. See more in the Trails-section.
In Auttiköngäs, the following are
- Walking, skiing, rowing and canoeing
- Picking berries and mushrooms
- Lighting campfires, which you should only do at designated campfire sites. You should only use the firewood left for this campfire site. Building campfires is strictly forbidden, even at designated sites, when there is a forest fire warning in effect.
- Cycling is allowed on roads and trails.
- If your private enterprise wishes to arrange commercial nature tourism visits to any of the structures in the area, you will need permission from Metsähallitus.
- Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (in Finnish).
- Lighting campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect.
- Lighting campfires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning or a grass fire warning has been issued for the area. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to the fireplace inside the "Auttiköngäs log floaters hut".
- Pets running at large
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the Auttiköngäs without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Equipment and Safety
- Complete the Auttiköngäs Nature Trail with ease by following the trail marks. It is worthwhile taking light hiking equipment, such as a water bottle, snacks, matches and a sheath knife.
- Take your binoculars with you if you wish to observe the birds.
- Feel free to wear trainers in dry weather conditions, but wearing waterproof footwear in damper conditions is highly recommended.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland:
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.