Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä. The hut was build in 1966. About 500 metres down the River Suomujoki you will find the old Suomunruoktu hut.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä (sodankyla.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Suomunruoktu, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 15.2144' lon: 27° 37.3927' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7571266 E: 525767.
- The hut is situated at the head waters of the River Suomujoki, 12 km south, south-east of Kiilopää Fell.
- The closest huts are the Tuiskukuru Open and Reservable Wilderness Hut, the Lankojärvi Open and Reservable Wilderness Hut and the Tammakkolampi Rental Turf Hut
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kiilopää is ca. 17 km, from Saariselkä ca. 30 km, and from Lake Aittajärvi ca. 17 km.
- Two-tiered sleeping platforms, a table and benches.
- A wood-burning stove and a gas cooker.
- There's no lighting in the hut, please bring your own candles
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Drinking water can be collected from the River Suomujoki.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoskiand by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Pets are permitted in the hut, but only in case that other visitors agree with it.
- There is a recycling point at the open wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
- Urho Kekkosen kansallispuisto outdoor map, 1:100 000.
- Saariselkä - Sokosti outdoor map, 1:50 000.
- Terrain map V512 and V521, 1:50 000.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen
tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.