Suomunruoktu Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Terms of reservation for the Suomunruoktu reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä. The hut was build in 1966. About 500 metres down the River Suomujoki you will find the old Suomunruoktu hut.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Suomunruoktu, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 15.2144' lon: 27° 37.3927' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7571266 E: 525767.
- The hut is situated at the head waters of the River Suomujoki, 12 km south, south-east of Kiilopää Fell.
- The closest huts are the Tuiskukuru Open and Reservable Wilderness Hut, the Lankojärvi Open and Reservable Wilderness Hut and the Tammakkolampi Rental Turf Hut
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kiilopää is ca. 14 km and from Saariselkä ca. 27 km
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- Two-tiered sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There's no lighting in the hut, please bring your own candles.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Drinking water can be collected from the River Suomujoki.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Metsähallitus follows the principles of litter-free hiking. Visitors are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.