Sudenpesä Rental Turf Hut
Rental turf hut for 5 persons
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Sudenpesä rental turf hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo. The hut was built in 1985. The turf hut was renovated in 2021 and received a new dry toilet and a wooden litter.
- Nortehern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Sudenpesä rental turf hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 18.832' lon: 28° 5.392' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7578255 E: 544942 WGS84 lat: 68.31386 lon: 28.08986.
- The turf hut is situated on the bank of the River Sarvioja on the south side of Kaarnepää Fell.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo.
- The closest huts are the Sarvijoki open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakka rental turf hut, the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Jyrkkävaara open and reservable wilderness hut, the Luirojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, the Kuusela rental hut, and the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Aittajärvi is ca. 13 km, from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 35 km, from Kiilopää is ca. 36 km and from Saariselkä is ca. 49 km.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- A sleeping platform, mattresses, pillows, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a fireplace, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Sarvioja.
- It is allowed to bring pets in the hut.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Metsähallitus follows the principles of litter-free hiking. Visitors are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.