Sarvijoki Reservable Wilderness Hut (so called Sarvioja)
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Sarvijoki reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo. The hut was built in 1968. The Sarvijoki open wilderness- and reservable hut was renovated in the summer of 2021 and half of the sheds were exchanged. The open wilderness hut became a reservable hut and vice versa. Sarvijoki also got a new toilet.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Sarvijoki, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 18.892' lon: 28° 06.630' ETRS-TM35FIN: N:7578383 E:545791.
- The wilderness hut is situated on the bank of the River Sarvijoki, southeast of Kaarnepää Fell.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Aittajärvi is ca. 14 km, from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 35 km, from Kiilopää is ca. 37 km and from Saariselkä is ca. 59 km.
- The closest huts are the Sudenpesä rental turf hut, the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakanruoktu rental turf hut, the Jyrkkävaara open and reservable wilderness hut, the Luirojärvi open and reservable wilderness hut, the Kuuselankämppä rental hut, and the Rajankämppä open wilderness hut.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
You can pick up the keys at the following places
Ivalo Customer Service
the key drop box in Saariselkä
the key drop box in Kiilopää
Samperin Savotta (samperi.com) in Savukoski
Tulppion Majat (tulppio.fi, Finnish) in Savukoski
Sodankylä Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish)
Taxi Vuotso / JJR Pehkonen Oy, tel. 044-243 2449, 044 2422967 (call in advance).
The customer must have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation with in so that one can prove the reservation and its payment.
Please check the opening hours of the place where you intend to collect the key in advance. Outside opening hours, the key can be collected from the key box at all key collection points by appointment. If you intend to collect the key after opening hours, contact the key collection point 3-5 weekdays before the key collection date.
When collecting the key from Saariselka or Kiilopää, you get instructions for collecting the key from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service. Contact customer service 3-5 weekdays before you collect the key (email@example.com, 020 6397200).
The key can be returned to any of the locations mentioned.
- Two-tiered sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Sarvijoki.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Metsähallitus follows the principles of litter-free hiking. Visitors are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.
The booking calendar
By checking the booking calendar of the huts (eraluvat.fi) you can see the availability beforehand. Bookings: Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service, tel. +358 206 39 7200 or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi.