Suitable for overnight stays for individual hikers. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Savukoski. The hut was built in 1985. The hut is located along the marked Nuortti Hiking Trail in the Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski (savukoski.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Karhuoja, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 54.9332' lon: 29° 13.4707' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7535128 E: 593317
- The wilderness hut is situated by Nuortti Hiking Trail.
- The closest huts are the Mettopalo open wilderness hut and the Kärekeoja open and reservable wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Haunijärvenoja parking area is ca. 9 km and from Tulppio ca.
- Two bunk beds with extendable lower bunks, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove and a gas cooker.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- In the same building, there is also an reservable wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Karhuoja.
The sauna fee is 7 € / adult, 4 € / child (under 7 years) or for a member of a group (a group min. 10 persons). Payment in advance in Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or Ivalo Customer Service. The sauna fee is possible to pay also in Eräluvat webstore (eraluvat.fi).
The sauna is available for use by all hikers, so you should be considerate of others and not stay too long in the sauna.During peak seasons you should agree bathing times with other hikers, for example, take turns between men and women at alternate hours.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
- The route includes some river crossings. There is no bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski (it has collapsed due a heavy snowburden) and the wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- The hut is located along the marked Nuortti Hiking Trail about 2.5 km from the River Nuorttijoki.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Pets are permitted in the hut, but only in case that other visitors agree with it.
- There is a recycling point at the open wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
- Urho Kekkosen kansallispuisto outdoor map, 1:100 000.
- Itäkaira Nuortti Korvatunturi topographic map, 1:50 000.
- Terrain map V513, 1:50 000.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.