Kärekeoja Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Kärekeoja reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Savukoski. The hut was built in 1951. The hut is located along the marked Nuortti Hiking Trail in the Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Urho Kekkonen National Park
Kärekeoja, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 51.8497' lon: 29° 11.8721' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7529361 E: 592403
- The wilderness hut is situated by Nuortti Hiking Trail on the north bank of the River Nuorttijoki about 1 km downstream from the mouth of the River Kärekeoja.
- Suitable for overnight stays for individual hikers.
- The closest huts are the Metsopalo open wilderness hut, the Hirvashauta open and reservable wilderness hut and Karhuoja open and reservable wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Haukijärvenoja parking area is ca. 1 km and from Tulppio ca. 11 km.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- A sleeping platform, mattresses, pillows, quilts, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Nuorttijoki.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings. There is bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski and the wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- There is a recycling point at the reservable wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.