Photo: Eero Hetta.
Photo: Eero Hetta.
Photo: Kirsi Luonuankoski.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Saiho, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 57.9783' lon: 29° 26.1404' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7541116 E: 601948
- The hut is situated by Nuortti Hiking Trail close to the hanging bridge at Kolsankoski Rapids near the border zone.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers.
- The closest huts are the Metsopalo open wilderness hut and the Hirvashauta open and reservable wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt).
- Two sleeping platform, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove and a gas cooker.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Nuorttijoki.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- There is bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Pets are permitted in the hut, but only in case that other visitors agree with it.
- There is a recycling point at the wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- The Finnish Border Guard originally built Saiho hut in 1938 at Saihovaara at the foot of Nuorttitunturi Fell. It was the border guard's first guard hut, which was built in order to make long patrol trips easier. The hut was rebuilt at its present location at the bank of the River Nuorttijoki by Nuortti Trail in the autumn of 2006.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.