Hirvashauta Reservable Wilderness Hut
Reservable wilderness hut for 6 persons. In the same building there is a open wilderness hut.
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Hirvashauta reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for individual hikers and small groups. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Savukoski. The hut was built in 1985. The hut is located along the marked Nuortti Hiking Trail in the Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Hirvashauta, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 53.8666' lon: 29° 15.7411' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7533205 E: 594976
- The wilderness hut is situated on the south bank of the River Nuorttijoki to the east of the River Hirvashaudanoja on Nuortti Hiking Trail.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt) The distance from Haukijärvenoja parking area is ca. 5,4 km, from Hirvashauta parking area ca. 2,5 km and from Tulppio is ca.16 km.
- The closest huts are the Mettopalo open wilderness hut, the Saiho open wilderness hut, and the Kärekeoja open and reservable wilderness hut.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Two bunk beds with extendable lower bunks, mattresses, pillows, quilts, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- In the same building, there is also an open wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Nuorttijoki.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- There is bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings.
The wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- There is a recycling point at the reservable wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.