Hirvashauta Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Kärekeoja reservable hut.
Suitable for overnight stays for individual hikers and small groups. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Savukoski. The hut was built in 1985. The hut is located along the marked Nuortti Hiking Trail in the Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Hirvashauta, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 53.8666' lon: 29° 15.7411' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7533205 E: 594976
- The wilderness hut is situated on the south bank of the River Nuorttijoki to the east of the River Hirvashaudanoja on Nuortti Hiking Trail.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt) The distance from Haukijärvenoja parking area is ca. 5,4 km, from Hirvashauta parking area ca. 2,5 km and from Tulppio is ca.16 km.
- The closest huts are the Mettopalo open wilderness hut, the Saiho open wilderness hut, and the Kärekeoja open and reservable wilderness hut.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- Two bunk beds with extendable lower bunks, mattresses, pillows, quilts, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- In the same building, there is also an open wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Nuorttijoki.
- There is bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings.
The wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- There is a recycling point at the reservable wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.
The booking calendar
By checking the booking calendar of the huts (eraluvat.fi) you can see the availability beforehand. Bookings: Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, tel. +358 206 39 7200 or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi.
Due to the serious Covid-situation Regional State Administrative Agency in Lappland has made decisions on restrictions. Metsähallitus limits the number of visitors to 6 (at huts that normally have room for over 8 persons), but the reduction will not appear in the booking calendar! Huts may be booked full for one group. The restriction is valid until May 31, 2022.