Hirvashauta Reservable Wilderness Hut
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Hirvashauta reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Suitable for overnight stays for individual hikers and small groups. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Savukoski. The hut was built in 1985. The hut is located along the marked Nuortti Hiking Trail in the Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski (savukoski.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Hirvashauta, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 53.8666' lon: 29° 15.7411' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7533205 E: 594976
- The wilderness hut is situated on the south bank of the River Nuorttijoki to the east of the River Hirvashaudanoja on Nuortti Hiking Trail.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt) The distance from Haukijärvenoja parking area is ca. 5,4 km, from Hirvashauta parking area ca. 2,5 km and from Tulppio is ca.16 km.
- The closest huts are the Mettopalo open wilderness hut, the Saiho open wilderness hut, and the Kärekeoja open and reservable wilderness hut.
12 € / night / person (incl. VAT 10%).
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Two bunk beds with extendable lower bunks, mattresses, pillows, quilts, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- In the same building, there is also an open wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Nuorttijoki.
You can pick up the keys from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen, Ivalo Customer Service, Fell Centre Kiilopää (kiilopaa.fi), Hotel Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppionmajat.fi, in Finnish), Tuntsan Tunturilomat tel. +358 400 274 074, Sodankylän Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish) or from Vuotso JJR Pehkonen Oy tel. +358 442 432 449.
Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- There is no bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings. The Kolsankoski bridge by the River Nuorttijoki, has collapsed due the heavy snow burden. During year 2020 the bridge is meaning rebuild.
The wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- There is a recycling point at the reservable wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
- Urho Kekkosen kansallispuisto outdoor map, 1:100 000.
- Itäkaira Nuortti Korvatunturi topographic map, 1:50 000.
- Terrain map V513, 1:50 000.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.