Location and Description
- Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Pyhä-Luosto National Park.
- Yrjölä rental hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 07.4581' lon: 26° 51.1479' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7445244 E: 493600
- The rental hut is located on the Pyhälatva Aapa Mire in the Pyhä-Luosto National Park, about 500 m from the Pyhänlatva lean-to-shelter on the Luosto Nature Hiking Trail (marked with green).
- From the starting point in Luosto, next to the parking area by the ski slopes, the walk to the hut is about 7 km. From Luostonloma parking place (near Torvisen maja), the distance is about 6 km.
- There is no winter trail to the hut.
- Map of Pyhä-Luosto National Park.
- Pyhä Luosto tunturikartta, Pyhä-Luosto Fell Map, 1:25 000, Calazo 2018
- Pyhä-Luosto ulkoilukartta, Pyhä-Luosto outdoor map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2014
60 €/night (incl. VAT 10%), maximum length of reservation is 3 nights.
Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon.
Those renting the hut can pick up the keys at
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava. You must have the receipt of payment with you.
- The return location of the key will be agreed upon key pick up.
- Kindly check the opening hours of the pick up points before arrival.
- Keys will not be delivered by mail.
- For heating: wood stove. Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- For cooking: gas cooker and necessary utensils (incl. coffee pot, pot, frying pan) and some tableware.
- For sleeping: there are mattresses, pillows and blankets at the hut. Bring your own linen or sleeping bag.
- For bathing: a wood heated sauna on the yard is free for hut guests to use. Please note that it takes some time before the sauna is properly warm. Remember to empty all the water containers and buckets before you leave. This is important especially in winter time as they will break if water freezes in them.
- Water: drinking water has to be carried in or taken from the well near the hut (about 500 m) and boiled before use. The water from the small brook near the hut (signposted from the corner of the sauna building) is suitable for washing (brown water).
- Other facilities: on the grounds of the hut visitors will find a dry toilet (bring your own toilet paper), a wood shed and a campfire site.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- The hut does not offer barrier-free access.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Remember to pack a torch. We recommend a head torch which leaves your hands free for hut duties. Candles must be supervised at all times.
- In the winter you might first need to shovel the snow off the hut entrance.
- Kindly check the fire alarm upon arrival to the hut. We recommend that you bring a battery with you.
- Tidy up the hut after you and leave some firewood and kindling for the next guests.
- If you notice that anything requires maintenance, kindly let us know so that we can react to the needs as quickly as possible.
Directions and Public Transportation
From Highway 4 between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä by Torvinen, a road (no. 962) turns towards Pyhä-Luosto. You may leave your car in the parking area by the Luosto ski slopes. The walk from the parking place to the hut along the Luosto Nature Hiking Trail (marked with green) is 7 km. From Luostonloma parking place (near Torvisen maja) the distance to the hut is about 6 km.
From the trains and aeroplanes arriving in Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi there is a bus connection (matkahuolto.fi) to Pyhä-Luosto National Park. A SkiBus (pyha.fi) travels between the two Fell Centres daily, in the winter several times a day and twice a day during the summer months.
Each visitor is responsible for taking their own waste from the hut.
Read more about Hiking Without Littering.