Pyhä-Luosto National Park Directions and Maps
By Public Transportation
- Visitor arriving by airplane (finavia.fi) or train (vr.fi) in Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi can take a connecting coach (matkahuolto.fi) to Pyhä-Luosto. The names of busstops are Pyhätunturi and Luosto in timetable search. There is a daily SkiBussi -bus travelling between the area's ski resorts. During winter this bus runs several times a day.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Pyhä-Luosto (journey.fi).
- From road 4 between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä, turn onto road 962, which leads to Pyhä-Luosto, at the village of Torvinen.
- From road 4 you can also turn onto road 19746 at the village of Aska. This road also leads to Pyhä-Luosto.
- From road 5 running between Kemijärvi and Pelkosenniemi, turn onto road 962, which leads to Pyhä-Luosto, at the village of Vuostimo.
- The roads leading to Pyhä-Luosto are clearly marked.
- Cars can be parked at the Luosto holiday resort or at Hotel Pyhätunturi.
- Visitors can leave their cars at the parking area for the Luosto ski slopes, at the Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Center Naava parking area or at either the Rykimäkero or Luostonloma parking area which are both by road 962.
- Driving directions to Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
Starting Points for Excursions
The starting point for excursions is the parking area at the Luosto holiday resort, just below the resort's ski slopes. Information boards at Luoston Portti are by this parking area. At the Pyhätunturi end of trails, the starting point is located at Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava. Visitors can also get to the Pyhä-Luosto hiking trails from the forest road leading to Lake Huttujärvi or from either the Rykimäkero or Luostonloma parking area.
- Pyhä Luosto tunturikartta, Pyhä-Luosto Fell Map, 1:25 000, Calazo 2018. A map made of waterproof Tyvek-material. Maps are sold at eg. Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
- Pyhä Luosto, waterproof outdoor map, 1:25 000, Karttakeskus 2020. Maps are sold at eg. Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, Karttakeskus and National Land Survey of Finland map service.
- Pyhä-Luosto Geological outdoor map, 1:50 000, GTK 2007.
- Salla Savukoski Waterproof Outdoor Map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000.
Map Sales Points
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava
- Karttakeskus (karttakauppa.fi)
- Calazo (calazo.fi, in Finnish)
- NLS service points (maanmittauslaitos.fi)
- GTK (gtk.fi)
Publications in English
Publications of Metsähallitus
- Polypores of Luosto. Series A 105 (julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- Pyhä-Luosto National Park visitor survey 2009-2010. Series B 174 (julkaisut.metsa.fi, in Finnish with English summary)
Publications can be ordered at Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
Trail Brochure, summer
Summer Trails Near Pyhä and Luosto Villages
Trail Brochure, winter
These maps will help you plan your excursion, but they will not help you navigate in the wilderness!