Metsäpirtti, Rental Hut
Metsäpirtti rental hut is situated on the east shore of Lake Herajärvi. A 500 m trail leads from Herajärven kierros Trail to the hut. If you come by car please leave your car to the parking area before Seppälä and walk to Metsäpirtti hut about 2km.
- Eastern Finland, North Karelia Region, Municipality of Kontiolahti, Koli National Park
- Metsäpirtti, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 63° 01.2175' lon: 29° 55.0513' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6991200 E: 647639
- Herajärven rantatie 37d, 81269 Ahveninen
Metsäpirtti rental hut is easily reached from the Herajärven kierros Trail. If you come by car please leave your car to parking area before Seppälä hut and walk to Metsäpirtti. The way to reach Metsäpirtti from the parking area is to through Lakkala yard. Walk towards Seppälä from the parking area and turn left to Lakkala. Walk through the field until you reach a trail. Turn right and walk along the trail until you see a sign with Metsäpirtti. The distance from the parking area to Metsäpirtti is approximately 2 km.
Via Koli village:
From Koli Nature Centre Ukko, drive downwards along Ylä-Kolintie Road for 2 km and turn right towards the Koli village. Distance from the Nature Centre to the Koli village is altogether 3,6 km. When you reach the village, turn right onto Merilänrannantie towards Loma-Koli and drive for roughly 1 km, then turn right onto Rantatie road and continue for another 1 km until you reach the harbor. After Koli Harbour, continue south along Rantatie and Vesivaarantie for roughly 18 km until you reach the Herajoki stream. Just before the Herajoki bridge, turn right onto Herajärven rantatie road. See the rest from below*.
Drive along the Romppalantie road, take the Herajoentie road (road sign reads "Herajoki"). After roughly 9 km, turn left onto Vesivaaratie road at the first crossroads (to the right, the road continues as Vaaralahdentie). Immediately after the Herajoki bridge, some 700 metres from the previous crossroads, turn left onto Herajärven rantatie road.
*The distance from Herajärventie to Seppälä parking area is 4 km. Take the next turn right. Seppälä parking area is on the right-hand side of the road.
(In a nut shell: turn right at every junction on Herajärven rantatie.) Walk from the parking area to Metsäpirtti hut. Please follow info before from "Hiking".
- Koli National Park map
- Outdoor and servicemap of Koli 1:20 000 / 1:50 000
- Terrain map P534, 1:50 000
Prize group A (15.5.-12.6. and 29.8.-30.9.)
1st day 80 €
2nd–7th day 70 €
Prize group B (13.6.-28.8.)
1st day 90 €
2nd–7th day 80 €
Prize group A (15.5.–9.6. and 26.8.–30.9.)
1st day 80 €
2nd–7th day 70 €
Prize group B (10.6.–25.8.)
1st day 90 €
2nd–7th day 80 €
Rental time 14:00–12:00.
No reservations longer than one week at a time.
Keys to the rental hut are placed in the key box next to the door of the hut. The key box opens with a 4-digit key combination. As soon as you have booked the hut, you will receive a booking confirmation in your email. Check the confirmation's attached files, in which you will find the 4-digit key code and additional information (please also check your spam folder). Keep the information with you until the end of the reservation. If you have not gotten the key combination at least two weekdays before the beginning of your reservation, please contact Koli Nature Centre Ukko.
When you arrive at the hut, enter the code in the box by rotating the numbers in the key box. Take the key from the box, unlock the hut, and put the key back in the box. Roll the numbers back to zero again. Always keep the keys inside the key box, so they won’t get lost or locked inside the hut. At the end of the reservation, leave the keys in the same box.
- Visitors must bring enough drinking and domestic water to the hut. Water can also be carried from the nearby stream, the lake or Seppälä's well (about 1,5km/direction), but water must be boiled before drinking. Do not use the lake water, if you see marks of blue-green algae blooming (thl.fi). It is also possible get clean drinking water from Koli Nature Centre Ukko.
- Sleeping spots for 4 in bunk beds + mattresses, pillows, no linen.
- Oven, gas cooker.
- Sauna, a separate dry toilet, rowboat and a campfire site. For the biowaste, there is a composter.
- Solar panel powered lights and charging facility (USB socket).
- Dishwashing liquid, spices, fire-making equipment and toilet paper are not included.
- Please check Koli National Park's What's New before arrival.
- Please leave no litter or other traces of your visit.
- You must carry the water to the sauna from the lake. The water tank of the sauna stove must be full of water when warming up the sauna.
- Please do not use the lake water or swim in it, if you see marks of blue-green algae blooming (thl.fi). Metsähallitus is not held responsible for possible blue-green algae blooming.
- Do not wash up or wash yourself directly in a lake or a river or on top of a well, because this will cause water pollution, eutrophication and e.g. blue-green algae blooming. Use only biodegradable detergents and pour your washing water into the ground at a sufficient distance from the water body.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- Pets are permitted in the hut.
- There is no electricity at the hut.
- Camping in the yard is prohibited.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- Between the hut and the shore there is a steep slope. The lakeside is muddy and shallow.
- To ensure an undisturbed night's sleep, it is recommended to bring a mosquito net that fits over a sleeping bag.
- Safety on hiking
Maintenance and Management
General customer service, customer feedback and maintenance:
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland,
Koli Nature Centre Ukko, tel. int. +358 40 7732442.
Booking, payments, and cancellations:
Eräluvat.fi Customer Service (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi)
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.