Härkätunturi Reservable Wilderness Hut
The hut can be booked at the Eräluvat web store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi). There is a separate fee for using the sauna.
You can also make the booking by contacting Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava or by email pyhaluosto(at)metsa.fi, Savukosken opastuskeskus Korvatunturi or by email savukoski(at)metsa.fi (in summer time).
Please note that Härkätunturi is a reservable hut with bed reservations. In addition to you and your group there can be other visitors staying in the hut at the same time. In case you wish to have the hut for you and your group only, remember to reserve the whole hut bed capacity for the wished stay. Please read through also the instructions for safe hut accommodation by Metsähallitus.
The hut is located close to the border of the municipalities of Salla and Savukoski, in between Härkätunturi Fell and Härkätunturinmurustat Fell, along the UKK Trail. In the yard, there is a sauna (used by both those staying at the open wilderness hut and those at the reservable hut), a woodshed, and a dry toilet.
Eastern Lapland, Salla, Tuntsa Wilderness Area
Härkätunturi, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 40.1555' lon: 29° 27.2271' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7508051 E: 604019
The hut is located close to the border of the municipalities of Salla and Savukoski, in between Härkätunturi Fell and Härkätunturinmuristat Fell, along the UKK Hiking Trail.
Please get acquainted with the instructions and rules of Tuntsa Wilderness Area, where the hut is located in.
Please note that trespassing or hiking is not allowed in the Värriö Strict Nature Reserve, which is located near the hut. Read more about Strict Nature Reserves (metsa.fi).
The hut is accessible only by foot or by skiing. Use of motor vehicles in the area is prohibited.
There are no marked winter trails to the hut.
Map of Tuntsa Wilderness Area.
16,50 € / night / person (incl. VAT 10%), maximum length of reservation is 3 nights.
Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon. There is a separate fee for sauna use.
Keys can be picked up by presenting the payment receipt and reservation number at Salla Visitor Centre, Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi (in summer time), Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Naruskan retkeilymaja (naruska.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppio.fi, in Finnish) or Tuntsan Pubi (facebook.com).
Kindly check the opening hours of the key pick-up and drop-off location before leaving for your trip.
- For heating: wood stove. Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- For cooking: gas cooker and necessary cooking utensils. Bring your own utensils and tableware.
- For sleeping: mattresses, pillows and blankets. Bring your own linen or sleeping bag.
- For bathing: a wood heated sauna on the yard is in the use for both reservable and open wilderness hut guests who have paid the sauna fee. Please note that it takes some time before the sauna is properly warm. Remember to empty all the water containers and buckets before you leave. This is important especially in winter time as they will break if water freezes in them.
- Water: in summer, take the water from the spring, and in winter from the nearby brook. Boil before use.
- Other facilities: there is an open wilderness hut on the other end of the building. On the grounds of the hut visitors will find a campfire site, a dry toilet (bring your own toilet paper) and a wood shed.
- The sauna fee is 10 € / adult, 5 € / child (under 7 years) or for a member of a group (a group min. 10 persons). The sauna fee incluedes VAT 24%.
- The area has limited or no mobile phone network coverage. Be prepared that a mobile phone can not be used.
- Always have a paper map and a compass with you.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- The hut does not offer barrier-free access.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Remember to pack a torch. We recommend a head torch which leaves your hands free for hut duties. Candles must be supervised at all times.
- Kindly check the fire alarm upon arrival to the hut. We recommend that you bring a battery with you.
- Tidy up the hut after you and leave some firewood and kindling for the next guests.
- If you notice that anything requires maintenance, kindly let us know so that we can react to the needs as quickly as possible.
How to Get There
- In summer time, there are several possible starting points from Savukoski direction, close to Tulppio. You can get by car to Tulppionkaitavaara, to the north part of Turjalaiset or Ahmatunturi.
- The roads are forest roads and can be in poor condition.
- It is 18 km from Tulppio to Härkätunturi via the UKK-trail.
- In the winter, the road is maintained to Ainijärvi, 15 km further from Tulppio, where the road ends.
- From Salla direction, you can get to the hut by walking 23 km north from Tuntsa. You can leave the car at the Tuntsa cooking shelter near Tuntsajoki river. Please note that the road is in very poor condition.
- There is no marked winter trail going to the hut.
Hikers are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about visitor guidelines and Outdoor Etiquette.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.