Härkätunturi Open Wilderness Hut
- Open wilderness hut for 10 persons
Eastern Lapland, Salla, along the UKK Trail.
The hut is located close to the border of the municipalities of Salla and Savukoski, in between Härkätunturi Fell and Härkätunturinmuristat Fell, along UKK Hiking Trail.
Please get acquainted with the instructions and rules of Tuntsa Wilderness Area, where the hut is located in.
Please note that trespassing or hiking is not allowed in the Värriö Strict Nature Reserve, which is located near the hut. Read more about Strict Nature Reserves (metsa.fi).
The hut is accessible only by foot or by skiing. Use of motor vehicles in the area is prohibited.
There are no marked winter trails to the hut.
Tuntsa Naruska Tulppio topographic map 1:50 000
Savukoski - Tuntsa recreation map 1:100 000
Terrain maps U541 1:50 000
- A stove, an electrical stove and a sauna (used by both those staying at the open wilderness hut and those at the reservable hut).
- The area has limited or no mobile phone network coverage. Be prepared that a mobile phone can not be used.
- Always have a paper map and a compass with you.
- Pets are allowed in the hut, but only with the consent of the other users of the hut.
- The reservable hut (for 4 persons) is located in the same building
How to Get There
- In summer time, there are several possible starting points from Savukoski direction, close to Tulppio. You can get by car to Tulppionkaitavaara, to the north part of Turjalaiset or Ahmatunturi.
- The roads are forest roads and can be in poor condition.
- It is 18 km from Tulppio to Härkätunturi via the UKK-trail.
- In the winter, the road is maintained to Ainijärvi, 15 km further from Tulppio, where the road ends.
- From Salla direction, you can get to the hut by walking 23 km north from Tuntsa. You can leave the car at the Tunsta cooking shelter near Tuntsajoki river. Please note that the raod is in very poor condition.
- There is no marked winter trail going to the hut.
- Hikers are asked to bring their own waste to one of the area's recycling points. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.