Vaarinkehuma, Rental Hut
Rental hut, accommodation space for 8 people. There is a reservable wilderness hut in the same building.
The hut can be booked at the Eräluvat web store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi). There is a separate fee for using the sauna. You can also make the booking by contacting Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava or in summer time Savukosken opastuskeskus Korvatunturi.
Vaarinkehuma rental hut is located in Salla, Tuntsa wilderness, close to Sorsatunturi Fell, along the UKK Trail. In the same building there is a reservable wilderness hut with separate bed reservations. A sauna is located in the yard, and it can be used by both the rental and reservable wilderness hut guests.
- Eastern Lapland, Salla municipality, Tuntsa area
- Vaarinkehuma rental hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67°40.3543158’ lon: 29°56.7853609’ N: 7478645 E:610080
- The hut is located close to Sorsatunturi Fell, along the UKK Hiking Trail in Sorsatunturi Nature Reserve.
Maps of the area
- Please note that Vaarinkehuma hut is not yet named on the maps.
- Tuntsa Naruska Tulppio topographic map 1:50 000 Karttakeskus
- Kemihaara Tuntsa Värriö topographic map 1:50 000 Calazo
- Excursionmap.fi (the closest destination found on the map at the moment is Vaarinkehuma silta)
180 € / night (incl. VAT 10%), maximum length of reservation is 3 nights. The sauna fee is included in the price.
Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon.
Keys can be picked up by presenting the payment receipt and reservation number at Salla Visitor Centre, Naruskan retkeilymaja (naruska.com), Tuntsan Pubi / Tuntsan ja Naruskan Tunturilomat tel. +358 400 449 649, Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi (in summer time), Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppio.fi, in Finnish) or Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
Kindly Check the opening hours of the key pick-up and drop-off location before leaving for your trip.
- For heating: wood stove. Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- For cooking: gas cooker and necessary cooking utensils. There is some tableware in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own tableware and utensils.
- For sleeping: bunk beds for 8 persons with mattresses, pillows and blankets. Bring your own linen or sleeping bag.
- For bathing: a wood heated sauna on the yard is in the use for both rental hut guests and reservable wilderness hut guests who have paid the sauna fee. Please note that it takes some time before the sauna is properly warm. Remember to empty all the water containers and buckets before you leave. This is important especially in winter time as they will break if water freezes in them.
- Water: take water from the brook Lautakotaoja next to the hut. Water quality is not monitored, boil it before consumption.
- Other facilities: In the hut there is a drying room with wood stove in the use of the guests of both huts. On the grounds a dry toilet (bring your own toilet paper) and a wood shed.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Remember to pack a torch. We recommend a head torch which leaves your hands free for hut duties. Candles must be supervised at all times.
- Kindly check the fire alarm upon arrival to the hut. We recommend that you bring a battery with you.
- Tidy up the hut after you and leave some firewood and kindling for the next guests.
- The area has limited or no mobile phone network coverage. Be prepared that a mobile phone can not be used. Always have a paper map and a compass with you. Safety on hiking
If you notice anything requiring maintenance, kindly let us know so that we can react as quickly as possible.
How to Get There
- In summer the hut can be reached by hiking along the UKK Trail and in winter by wilderness skis or snowmobile along the Metsähallitus snowmobile track passing the hut. Driving a snowmobile on the track always requires a snowmobile track permit (eraluvat.fi). Using snowmobile off the track is prohibited. During snowless seasons all motorized vehicles are prohibited.
- The official road ends at village Naruskajärvi, and this is the furthest point where the road is maintained in winter. Closest parking areas to the hut are south to the crossing of Naruskan Tammi and Naruskantie roads and for a small fee in the yard of the business Tuntsan Pubi (Tuntsan ja Naruskan Tunturilomat, tel. +358 400 449 649). Always check carefully that your car is not parked on the way of a snowplow or other vehicles.
- In summer the UKK Trail can be accessed from Tuntsan Pubi by walking north the Naruskantie road about 1 km. Or, from the parking area of Naruskan Tammi and Naruskantie road crossing, by walking the Naruskantie road south about 2,5 km.
- In winter the snowmobile track can be accessed from Tuntsan Pubi or Naruskan Tammi, from where the track goes through Kotatsiaapa mire to Sorsajoki river and along the sides of the river to Vaarinkehuma.
All visitors must bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about visitor guidelines and Outdoor Etiquette.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.