Takkaselkä Reservable Wilderness Hut
Reservable hut, accommodation space for 5 people.
You can make the booking by contacting Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava by email pyhaluosto(at)metsa.fi or in summertimes Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi or by email savukoski(at)metsa.fi.
Please note that Takkaselkä is a reservable hut with bed reservations. In addition to you and your group there can be other visitors staying in the hut at the same time. In case you wish to have the hut for you and your group only, remember to reserve the whole hut bed capacity for the wished stay. Please read through also the instructions for safe hut accommodation by Metsähallitus.
Terms of reservation for the Takkaselkä reservable wilderness hut. See where to pick up the keys.
- Eastern Lapland, Salla
Takkaselkä, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 27.4632' lon: 29° 41.6071' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7484908 E: 615199
- Located in the Tuntsa wilderness, next to Takkaselkätunturi Fell, the distance from the trail to the hut is about 300 m.
- The hut is accessible only by foot or by skiing. Use of motor vehicles in the area is prohibited.
- There is no marked winter trail going to the hut and it can’t be reached by public transport.
- The area has limited or no mobile phone network coverage. Be prepared that a mobile phone can not be used.
- Always have a paper map and a compass with you.
- Tuntsa Naruska Tulppio topographic map 1:50 000 Karttakeskus
- Kemihaara Tuntsa Värriö topographic map 1:50 000 Calazo
- Salla - Savukoski 1:100 000
- Savukoski - Tuntsa recreation map 1:100 000
- Terrain maps U541 1:50 000
16,50 € / night / person (incl. VAT 10%), maximum length of reservation is 3 nights.
Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon.
Keys can be picked up by presenting the payment receipt and reservation number at Salla Visitor Centre, Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi, Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Naruskan retkeilymaja (naruska.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppio.fi, in Finnish) or Tuntsan Pubi (facebook.com).
Please check the opening hours of the pick up points before arrival.
- For heating: wood stove. Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- For cooking: gas cooker and necessary cooking utensils, tableware for 6 persons. Bring your own utensils.
- For sleeping: bunkbeds with mattresses, pillows and blankets. Bring your own linen or sleeping bag.
- For bathing: a wood heated sauna inthe same building. Please note that it takes some time before the sauna is properly warm. Remember to empty all the water containers and buckets before you leave. This is important especially in winter time as they will break if water freezes in them.
- Water: water is taken from a brook, duckboards from the hut. Boil before use.
- Other facilities: Solar panel electricity, which is dependent on weather conditions (main switch in the hallway, swith off upon leaving the hut). On the grounds of the hut visitors will find a dry toilet (bring your own toilet paper) and a wood shed.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- The hut does not offer barrier-free access.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Remember to pack a torch. We recommend a head torch which leaves your hands free for hut duties. Candles must be supervised at all times.
- Kindly check the fire alarm upon arrival to the hut. We recommend that you bring a battery with you.
- Tidy up the hut after you and leave some firewood and kindling for the next guests.
- If you notice that anything requires maintenance, kindly let us know so that we can react to the needs as quickly as possible.
Arrival from Salla direction
- A popular starting point for Takkaselkä when coming from Salla direction in summer is Tuntsan Pubi. The UKK trail continues northeast from there, arriving after 24 km to Takkaselkä hut.
- The shortest way to the hut is from Auermavaaran kuusikko, 18 km north from Naruskajärvi, close to Pirunkirkko. There is space for a few cars in the crossing, and distance to the hut is about 10 km.
- The official road ends at Naruskajärvi, and this is the furthest point where the road is maintained in winter. Please check carefully that your car is not parked on the way of a snowplow.
- The roads from Naruskajärvi towards Tuntsa are forest roads and can be in poor condition.
Arrival from Savukoski direction
- In summer time, there are several possible starting points from Savukoski direction, close to Tulppio. You can get by car to Tulppionkaitavaara, to the north part of Turjalaiset or Ahmatunturi.
- The roads are forest roads and can be in poor condition.
- In the winter, the road is maintained to Ainijärvi, 15 km further from Tulppio, where the road ends. Please check carefully that your car is not parked on the way of a snowplow.
Hikers are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about visitor guidelines and Outdoor Etiquette.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.
1. Respect nature.
2. Mainly use marked trails.
3. Camp only where it is allowed.
4. Light your campfire only where it is allowed.
5. Do not litter.