Mantoselkä Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Mantoselkä reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Photo: Kristiina Aikio.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Savukoski. The hut was built in 1985. The Manto-oja open wilderness hut is located less than a kilometre away.
- Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Mantoselkä, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 03.0454' lon: 28° 58.3761' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7549837 E: 582285
- The wilderness hut is situated on the east side of the River Manto-oja, 500 metres north of a reindeer fence.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Peuraselkä open wilderness hut, the Peskihaara open wilderness hut, and the Manto-oja open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kemihaara is ca. 11km and from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 66 km.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
12 € / night / person (incl. VAT 10%).
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Two sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, quilts, and a table.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- In the same building, there is also an open wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Manto-oja.
You can pick up the keys from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen, Ivalo Customer Service, Fell Centre Kiilopää (kiilopaa.fi), Hotel Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppionmajat.fi, in Finnish), Sodankylän Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish) or from Vuotso JJR Pehkonen Oy tel. +358 442 432 449.
Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi. The wading cables are located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
There is no bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- There is a recycling point at the hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.