Mantoselkä Reservable Wilderness Hut
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Mantoselkä reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
- Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Mantoselkä, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 03.043', lon: 28° 58.371' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7549833, E: 582282
- The wilderness hut is situated on the east side of the River Manto-oja, 500 metres north of a reindeer fence.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Peuraselkä open wilderness hut, the Peskihaara open wilderness hut, and the Manto-oja open wilderness hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kemihaara is ca. 11km and from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 66 km.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- Two sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, quilts, and a table.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- In the same building, there is also an open wilderness hut and a drying room. A drying room shared with the other hut.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Manto-oja.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi. The wading cables are located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
There is no bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- There is a recycling point at the hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.
The booking calendar
By checking the booking calendar of the huts (eraluvat.fi) you can see the availability beforehand. Bookings: Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, tel. +358 206 39 7200 or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi.
Due to the serious Covid-situation Regional State Administrative Agency in Lappland has made decisions on restrictions. Metsähallitus limits the number of visitors to 6 (at huts that normally have room for over 8 persons), but the reduction will not appear in the booking calendar! Huts may be booked full for one group. The restriction is valid until May 31, 2022.