Location and Description
- Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Pelkosenniemi (www.pelkosenniemi.fi, in Finnish), Pyhä-Luosto National Park.
- Kuukkeli rental hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 05.6023' lon: 26° 59.7645' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7441788 E: 499829
- The rental hut is located in Pyhä-Luosto National Park by the River Pyhäjoki, along the Rykimäkuru Trail (marked with red).
- In the winter (week 7 onwards), there is a cross country ski track past the hut. The shortest track access is from Kopara (Moitaselkä direction) or from Rykimäkero parking area counterclockwise via Lampivaara and Pyhälampi.
- Map of Pyhä-Luosto National Park.
- Pyhä Luosto tunturikartta, Pyhä-Luosto Fell Map, 1:25 000, Calazo 2018
- Pyhä-Luosto ulkoilukartta, Pyhä-Luosto outdoor map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2014
For 2019: 50 € / night / room or entire hut 100 € / night (incl. VAT 10%), maximum length of reservation is 3 nights. Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon.
For 2020: 60 € / night / room or entire hut 120 € / night (incl. VAT 10%), maximum length of reservation is 3 nights. Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon.
Those renting the hut can pick up the keys at
- For heating: wood stove. Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- For cooking: gas cooker and necessary cooking utensils (a pot, a frying pan, a coffee pot). Bring your own utensils and tableware.
- For sleeping: there are mattresses at the hut and new pillows and blankets were brought to the hut's both rooms in March 2018. Bring your own linen or sleeping bag.
- For bathing: a wood heated sauna is in the hut building and free for hut guests to use. Please note that it takes some time before the sauna is properly warm. Remember to empty all the water containers and buckets before you leave. This is important especially in winter time as they will break if water freezes in them.
- Water: drinking water is taken from the River Pyhäjoki (boil before use) and it can be used in the sauna as well. In the woodshed you find tools to break the ice in the winter.
- Other facilities: a dry toilet (bring your own toilet paper), a wood shed and a campfire site at the yard.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- The hut does not offer barrier-free access.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Remember to pack a torch. We recommend a head torch which leaves your hands free for hut duties. Candles must be supervised at all times.
- Kindly check the fire alarm upon arrival to the hut. We recommend that you bring a battery with you.
- Tidy up the hut after you and leave some firewood and kindling for the next guests.
- If you notice that anything requires maintenance, kindly let us know so that we can react to the needs as quickly as possible.
Safety on hiking
Directions and Public Transportation
The closest parking area is the Rykimäkero parking area, which is located 3,4 km north of the rental hut. The parking area is situated by Pyhä-Luosto Road (no. 962) 20 km north of Pyhä in the direction of Luosto.
This parking area is the starting point for a summer trail and a cross country skiing track (week 7 onwards) towards Kuukkeli rental hut. The hut is located by the Rykimäkuru Trail (marked with red) with a good connection to Pyhä-Luosto Hiking Trail (marked with yellow).
At summer time there is a small, rather un-noticeable, parking place at Luostontie Road about 1,5 km walking distance from the hut, the trail is not marked but it is quite easy to find. This parking place has no winter maintenance!
From Rovaniemi and Pyhätunturi there is a bus connection (www.matkahuolto.fi) to Luosto, the nearest bus stop is in Luosto resort, from which it is about 11 km to walk or ski to the rental hut. You can also ask the bus driver to drop you off at Rykimäkero parking area, about 4 kilometres from the hut.
Each visitor is responsible for taking their own waste from the hut. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.