Uittipiekka Reservable Wilderness Hut
Please note that Uittipiekka is a reservable hut with bed reservations. In addition to you and your group there can be other visitors staying in the hut at the same time. In case you wish to have the hut for you and your group only, remember to reserve the whole hut bed capacity for the wished stay. Please read through also the instructions for safe hut accommodation by Metsähallitus.
A hut suitable for independent hikers, located in Sorvorttajoki valley in the wilderness area without trails. In the yard, there is a sauna (used by both those staying at the open wilderness hut and those at the reservable hut) with duckboards to a brook. Also a campfire site, a woodshed, and a dry toilet.
- Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski, Kemihaara Wilderness Area.
- Uittipiekka hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 53.5668' lon: 28° 32.3545' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7531714 E: 564639
- The wilderness hut is situated on the north side of Uittipiekka Fell, at the head waters of River Sorvorttajoki.
- The hut is accessible only by foot or by skiing. Use of motor vehicles in the area is prohibited.
- There are no marked trails to reach the hut. Always have a paper map and a compass with you.
- Please get acquainted with the instructions and rules of Kemihaara Wilderness area, where the hut is located in.
- Map of Kemihaara Wilderness Area.
- Itäkaira Kemihaara Lokka 1:50 000
- Kemihaara Tuntsa Värriö 1:50 000
- Koilliskaira outdoor map 1:100 000
- Savukoski - Tuntsa outdoor map 1:100 000
- Terrain map V513 1:50 000
Rental time is 2 pm - 12 noon.
You can pick up the keys by presenting the payment receipt and reservation number at Visitor Centre Naava in Pyhätunturi, Salla Visitor Centre in Salla, Visitor Centre Korvatunturi in Savukoski, Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppio.fi, in Finnish) and Simonen in Sodankylä.
Please check the opening hours of the pick up points before arrival.
- For heating: wood stove. Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- For cooking: gas cooker and necessary cooking utensils (a pot, a frying pan). Bring your own utensils and tableware.
- For sleeping: bunkbeds with mattresses, pillows and blankets. Bring your own linen or sleeping bag.
- For bathing: a wood heated sauna on the yard is free for both reservable and open wilderness hut guests to use. Please note that it takes some time before the sauna is properly warm. Remember to empty all the water containers and buckets before you leave. This is important especially in winter time as they will break if water freezes in them.
- Water: water is taken from a brook, boil before use.
- Other facilities: there is an open wilderness hut on the other end of the building. On the grounds of the hut visitors will find a campfire site, a dry toilet (bring your own toilet paper) and a wood shed.
- The area has limited or no mobile phone network coverage. Be prepared that a mobile phone can not be used.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- The hut does not offer barrier-free access.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Remember to pack a torch. We recommend a head torch which leaves your hands free for hut duties. Candles must be supervised at all times.
- Kindly check the fire alarm upon arrival to the hut. We recommend that you bring a battery with you.
- Tidy up the hut after you and leave some firewood and kindling for the next guests.
- If you notice that anything requires maintenance, kindly let us know so that we can react to the needs as quickly as possible.
Hikers are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.