Näränkä Wilderness Farm Rental Hut
This beautifully restored farmyard is located in southern Kuusamo in the Näränkä Natural Forests area. At Näränkä, you will be transported back in time as this remote house has been decorated in the style of the 1950s. You can book the main building and the sauna but otherwise the farmyard is available to everybody.
- The main building and sauna are reserved by shepherds in summer, usually from Midsummer week to mid-August.
Address: Närängänvaarantie 28, 93999 Kuusamo (starting from 1.6.2014).
North Ostrobothnia, City of Kuusamo, Näränkä Natural Forests (in Finnish), Näränkä trails.
There is a 1.5-km-trail to the farm from the Suojärvi parking area. In winter, you can reach the hut on skis or snowshoes. Please note that the roads in the area are not ploughed in winter.
The remote Näränkä Nature Reserve is located at a distance of about 60 km from Kuusamo. The closest villages are Kurvinen, Teeriranta, Hossa and Murtovaara.
- Basic map chart 4523 07
- Kuusamo tourist map, 1:100 000
Näränkä, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 38.8454' lon: 29° 39.1832' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7283186 E: 622044.
Basic price (day/week): 80 / 480 €
Midsummer (Thursday-Sunday): 320 €
- A baking oven in the main room, tiled stoves in the bedrooms, a wood-burning stove and gas hobs as well as crockery for 50 people in the kitchen. Beds and mattresses. Gaslights.
- There is a sauna, storehouses, a drying barn, barns, a campfire site, a dry toilet, an earth cellar and a well in the yard.
- You can book the main building and the sauna but the farmyard is available to everybody.
- There are separate instructions for using the gaslights.
- The ovens may smoke if the chimneys are damp and the ovens have not been used for a long time. Burn dry paper in the flues before lighting a fire in the oven.
- Having lit the fire, do not leave the ovens unattended.
- There is a well in the yard but it is advisable to bring drinking water with you if there has been rainfall.
- Pets are allowed in the hut.
- There are no services for the disabled at the hut.
- Every visitor must take away their own waste when they leave. There is a dry-toilet composter for organic waste in the yard.
- Please do not leave any litter or other traces of your stay. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.