Mikkelinsaaret Nature Station
The Mikkelinsaaret Nature Station is an old coast guard station on Kummelskäret Island. It now serves boaters in the Kvarken World Heritage Area as well as visitors on group tours arranged by local tourist enterprises and school groups. The tower of the nature information station is a worthwhile place to visit as the view that opens from it is magnificent.
The sauna can be booked through Aurinkoreitti (solrutten.fi, in finnish and swedish). Accommodation cannot be booked this summer due to renovations.
The Mikkelinsaaret Nature Information Station is located in the outer archipelago of the Municipality of Vörå, 20 km north of the Köklot fishing harbour. The nature istation can be reached by boat.
- Information about the harbour (solrutten.fi).
- There are marked water routes to the nature station.
- Coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 63° 27.643' lon: 21° 46.347' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7047560 E: 239610.
- The closest harbours which can be reached by car are at Köklot, 20 km from the archipelago by boat. There are boat launch ramps at both of the harbours at Köklot; the fishing harbour and Norrskat at the north end. Norrskat is about 30 km from the town of Vaasa.
- To get to Köklot from the centre of Vaasa, take road 724 (to Raippaluoto). The road to Köklot turns right when coming from Vaasa, just before reaching the Raippaluoto bridge.
Mickelsörarna Nature Trail 1km/1.5 km, a circular trail
Mickelsörarna Nature trail has its starting point on the grounds of the nature station. The trail features among other things the ruins of a 16th Century fishing camp and harbour. Read more
There is a recycling and waste point at the nature station which is maintained by an organisation called Keep the Archipelago Tidy (pidasaaristosiistina.fi).
The Mikkelinsaaret Archipelago
The Mikkelinsaaret Archipelago is made up of 300 islands of different sizes. Some of these islands are state-owned while others are privately owned protected areas. There are numerous prehistoric artefacts and sites (metsa.fi): the ruins of hunters' camps and harbours, compass roses and labyrinths.
Tourist Services in the Mikkelinsaaret Archipelago.