Photo: Timo Reinvuo.
Photo: Tero Turpeinen.
Photo: Tero Turpeinen.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Sodankylä and in Savukoski.
- Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Savukoski (savukoski.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Naltio, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 58.5350' lon: 29° 03.9009' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7541585 E: 586405.
- The wilderness hut is situated on the north bank of the River Naltiohaara about 1,5 km downstream from the reindeer fence.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
- The closest huts are the Vieriharju open wilderness hut and the Tikkanen rental hut.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt).
- A sleeping platform, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the river Naltiojoki.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
- The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski, by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi and by the River Kopsusjoki at Orponen. The wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- There is bridge by the River Nuorttijoki at Kolsankoski.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Pets are permitted in the hut, but only in case that other visitors agree with it.
- There is a recycling point at the open wilderness hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.