The old Västerby fisherman's farm on the north shore of Berghamn Island, in Archipelago National Park, is like a scene from the old days. The island boasts managed traditional landscapes, and an exhibition in the farm's waterside shed depicts the life of fishermen. There are guides in the summer at the Västerby fisherman's farm.
Directions and Maps
Berghamn Island is located in the municipality of Pargas. Berghamn Island can only be reached by boat.
- Coordinates Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 03.1964' lon: 21° 47.7777' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6668751 E: 210416
- Nautical chart series: D
- Nautical chart: 717, 25
By Public Transportation
- There are ferry services to Berghamn: from Pärnäinen and from Kirjainen m/s Cheri (finferries.fi), and from Pärnäinen m/s Baldur (meritie.fi, in Finnish)
Services in Berghamn
Berghamn Nature Information Hut
- The Västerby farm's waterside shed serves as the Nature Information Hut of Berghamn Island. It houses an exhibition entitled "Fishing in the Archipelago".
- The nature exhibition is free-of-charge.
- The nature exhibition is open daily.
- There is no staff at the nature information hut.
The Excursion Harbour
- Harbour number: 818, 822
- Depth: 1,5 – 2,0 m
- Open: west-north
- For shorts visits only, harbour for longer visits on the eastern side of the island
- It is allowed to camp in the Västerby farm area. We strongly recommend using an inner tent to avoid ticks!
- Campfire site and dry toilet is located near the shore.
- There are two nature trails in the vicinity of the Västerby fisherman's farm. They provide information on Berghamn's flora and fauna, old habitation and present-day life on this beautiful island. The trails are approximately 2 km long, and they start at the farmyard.
- There are no accessible services in the area and the terrain is rough and difficult to walk in several places.
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.