Things to Do and See in the Liminka Bay Visitor Centre
It is a good idea to start your excursion at the Liminka Bay Visitor Centre. The local speciality, i.e. the fishing and hunting cabins, are a distinctive feature in the scenery. The visitor centre's exhibition presents the life of birds and the history of the cabins.
Many people who have visited the Eight Seasons of Birds exhibition say that it is the best nature exhibition ever. The exhibition has been designed for families with children. However, it also provides fascinating and topical information for passionate bird enthusiasts. There are bird games and upstairs a nest made of twigs for children. The visually impressive exhibition also tells stories and provides information, as well as displays gorgeous bird photographs. Additional information on the services provided by the visitor centre.
- At the Eight Seasons of Birds' Year exhibition, you can admire the stunning beauty of birds! You can study the annual cycle from the birds' perspective. The starring role is played by the varied bird species of Liminganlahti Bay but the exhibition also explores the life of birds more generally.
- Temporary exhibitions change every one or two months.
Multimedia Presentation Life at the Liminka Bay
- The presentation shows you what goes on in this bird wetland over the course of a year.
- Duration 20 min.
- Free of charge.
- The presentation is played when the auditorium is available. It is advisable for groups to book the presentation in advance.
Guided Group Tours
Please book guided tours in advance. The guided tours cost 50€/hour/group. Guided Tours at the Eight Seasons of Bird´s Year Exhibition and indoors.
Guided exhibition tour
The Eight Seasons of Birds exhibition presents the annual cycle from the birds' perspective
- Our expert guide will introduce you to the fascinating world of birds with the help of examples and stories.
- Duration 1 hour.
- Price 50€/hour/group. Maximum group size 25 people.
Adventures amongst birds, tasks for younger pupils
- Suitable for those at preschool and in first and second grades.
- Duration 0.5 hour.
Tasks for pupils
- The tasks are suitable for 5th-6th graders and for 7th-9th graders.
- Duration 0.5 hour.
Guided Tours in Nature
Guided excursion for pupils to the bird-watching tower
- Suitable for 1st-6th graders, 7th-9th graders and those at upper secondary school
- The guide has a telescope with him/her, and the visitor centre lends 20 binoculars to the school group.
- Duration 1 hour.
- Price 50€/hour/group. Maximum group size 25 people. If the group is larger, it will be divided. One group can tour the exhibition while the other group visits the bird-watching tower.
Guided Birdwatching Tours for adults are organized by our partners.
Snowshoeing along the shores of Liminka Bay
- Suitable for 1st-9th graders.
- Price 50€/group. Maximum group size 23 people. If the group is larger, it will be divided. One group can tour the exhibition while the other group visits the bird-watching tower.
- Duration roughly 1.5 hour.
- The maximum group size is 23 people (due to the number of snowshoes).
Bird's Nest for Children
A bird's nest has been designed for children, in which they can sit on pillows and listen to fairy tales. The visitor centre also provides games, colouring pages, books and a lot of other fascinating things to keep children amused.
The visitor centre's reference library has a wide variety of nature guidebooks (on plants, mushrooms, birds, mammals, etc.).
The visitor centre boasts an indoor bird-watching tower from which you can peek through the telescope towards Liminganlahti Bay. Open only during weekends in wintertime.
Trails and Bird-Watching Towers
By Liminganlahti, you will find many bird-watching towers, duckboards and structures serving visitors, such as campfire sites. The visitor centre and its surroundings are suitable for the disabled and it is also possible to go bird-watching with a pram. Read more.
The shallow seaside meadows, the wide reed beds, the willow thickets and the seaside birch forests provide habitats and rest spots for a large variety of bird species. In the Liminka Bay area, roughly 200 bird species are sighted annually, of which about 160 nest in the area. There are also rarities amongst the birds. The black-tailed godwit, the lesser white-fronted goose, the gull-billed tern, the Eurasian bittern and many other specialities are absolutely amazing.
In the Liminka Bay area, the high season begins in April, at the time of the migration of geese, and the spring is culminated by the colourful mating dance of the ruffs. The high season lasts until October, when the last swans fly to the south as the bay freezes over. The area boasts five birdwatching towers, from which it is easy to observe birds. In winter, the feeding of birds at the yard gives you an opportunity to admire the stationary birds, which spend their winters in the area.
The coast of Liminka Bay is special, as it has been created by land uplift, providing a fantastic setting for nature photography. The Liminka Bay and Lumijoki birdwatching towers are ideal locations for photography, even though the distance to the birds sets certain requirements for the equipment.
- Geocaching: geocaching is a fun way to learn how to use GPS and to see the Liminka Bay through the eyes of a treasure hunter!
- Cross-country skiing: in the Liminka Bay area, there is a cross-country ski trail (about 25 km), which is maintained by the municipalities. Additional information is available on the websites of the municipalities of Liminka, Lumijoki and Oulunsalo.
- Snowshoeing: snowshoeing gives you an opportunity to explore the Liminka Bay area from a totally different perspective.
- Canoeing: it is possible to canoe on Liminka Bay with a guide. There are also bird sanctuaries in the area, so please check the canoeing possibilities at the visitor centre.
- Learn in nature: on the pages for teachers, you will find tips on nature education in the areas surrounding the Liminka Bay Visitor Centre. At the visitor centre, groups can also hire a guide for their excursion. Read more.
- Guided group tours: at the visitor centre, you can book a guided tour for your group at the exhibition or in nature. Our cooperation parties organise various kinds of guided hiking trips. The cooperation parties.
- Volunteer activities: come and work for the good of nature, which is shared by all of us. In the Liminka Bay area, various organisations arrange mowing events for voluntary workers and various events. Read more.