Services in Gulf of Finland National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Maretarium (maretarium.fi) in the town of Kotka displays the natural features of Finnish waters.
- On Ulko-Tammio Island, there is a guide employed by Metsähallitus during the weekends from 24th of June until the end of July to guide the visitors to the National Park, tel.nt. +358 40 568 5777
- Guided walk in Ulko-Tammio takes about 1 hour, and the trail is about 1 km long.
- Two Nature Information Huts: In the guestharbour of Kaunissaari Island there is a Nature Information Hut which is open during the summer. It has an exhibition on Gulf of Finland National Park. In addition, there is a Nature Information Hut in the old school building on Haapasaari Island. It has an exhibition on the natural features of the outer archipelago and the position of the National Park on the border of Fennoscandia.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Shops, Cafés and Restaurants
- There are no places to buy food in the National Park area.
On the boundary of the National Park, on Kaunissaari Island, there are a camping ground, indoor accommodation, a restaurant, a shop and a cafe.
- There is a shop on Haapasaari Island.
Campfire places are located at the camping sites on the islands of
- Ristisaari and
Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden also at the campfire places if the forest fire warning (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) is in effect.
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
There are wells on the islands of Ulko-Tammio and Mustaviiri. Water taken from the wells is recommended to be boiled before using it for drinking or cooking. It makes sense to bring drinking water with you.
- In National Park we follow the principal of Hiking without littering, which means that you must take away everything you brought with you.
Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Keep the Archipelago Tidy Association (pidasaaristosiistina.fi)
There are dry toilets on the islands with camping sites.
The camping sites are located on the islands of
- Kilpisaari and
Open Wilderness Hut
- Koivuluoto Open wilderness hut is located in the Gulf of Finland National Park, in the northeast corner of Koivuluoto island in the town of Hamina.
- Ulko-Tammio Open wilderness hut is located in the Gulf of Finland National Park, in Ulko-Tammio island in the town of Hamina.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Camping ground and indoor accommodation on Kaunissaari Island.
Services for the Disabled
There are no special services for the disabled. For most part, the terrain is difficult.
Excursion, Guest and Service Harbours
The coordinates are given using the WGS-84-Coordinate System as well as in the ETRS-TM3FIN planar coordinate system. The harbours coordinates are shown according to the WGS-84-system that is used in the international blue nautical chart series. For more information on nautical charts see the Finnish Maritime Administration boating website (liikennevirasto.fi).
Harbours in the National Park
- Suuri-Pisi, excursion harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 27.00' lon: 27° 38.04' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6701696 E: 534881)
- Lanskeri, excursion harbour, quite open to wind (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 22.98' lon: 27° 30.47' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6694174 E: 527997)
- Ulko-Tammio, gueststage, depth 1 - 3 m (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 21.04' lon: 27° 27.24' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6690551 E: 525054). At Itälahti ("East Bay"), there is another gueststage (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 20.8774' lon: 27° 27.5957' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6690251 E: 525383).
- Koivuluoto, excursion harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 18.2531' lon: 27° 24.0563' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6685359 E: 522157)
- Kilpisaari, excursion harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 16.8664' lon: 27° 18.9365' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6682759 E: 51745)
- Ristisaari, excursion harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 18.6' lon: 26° 48.1' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6685952 E: 489041)
- Mustaviiri, excursion harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 16.72' lon: 26° 36.52' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6682510 E: 478356)
Harbours nearby the National Park
- Tammio, gueststage, depth 3 m (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 24.98' lon: 27° 25.00' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6697851 E: 522947)
- Haapasaari, service harbour, depth 1,5 - 1,7 m (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 17.33' lon: 27° 11.75' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6683594 E: 510827)
- Kaunissaari, service harbour, depth 1,9 - 2,4 m (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60° 20.65' lon: 26° 46.60' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6689762 E: 487672)
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Haapasaari Island has fuel, a public telephone, a shop and post office services.
- Kaunissaari Island has restaurant services and a public telephone.
- Most services can be found on the mainland, for example in Kotka (kotka.fi), Hamina (hurmaavahamina.fi, in Finnish) and Virolahti (virolahti.fi, in Finnish).
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
Finnish Nature Centre Haltia, tel. +358 40 163 6200, info(at)haltia.com
Metsähallitus customer service spatial planners
Southeast Finland: Pekka Koponen, tel. +358 206394238
The Metropolitan area: Liisa Neuvonen, tel. +358206394638
Western Uusimaa: Anne Muuri, tel. +358 206394708
Southwest Finland: Laura Lehtonen, tel.+358 206394659
Kvarken, Southern and Central Ostrobothnia: Tuija Warén, tel.+358 206395282
Satakunta: Marjo Kekki, tel.+358 206394266
Email address: first name.last name (at)metsa.fi