Visit the Örö Fortress Island
- The Örö fortress island opened for visitors at the beginning of June 2015. Entrance is free, but a quay rate will be charged for boats. Visitors may explore the island independently or take a guided tour provided by Metsähallitus' partner entrepreneurs.
- The area is managed by Metsähallitus
- Services on the island is offered by the entrepreneur (www.visistoro.fi)
- More information about the destination and services: rannikko(at)metsa.fi
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site. Metsähallitus has prepared instructions and a form (www.metsa.fi, in Finnish) for this.
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner (instructions and form, www.metsa.fi, in Finnish).
Directions and Maps
Örö is located in the Archipelago Sea, approximately 15 km south of Kasnäs. This destination is accessible by water only.
By Boat and by Kayak
- Landing on Örö is only allowed via the guestharbour. There is a special jetty for canoes. Anchoring is prohibited on other parts of Örö island.
- Harbour coordinates (WGS-84): N59° 48.63' E22° 20.15'
- Nautical chart series: B
- Nautical chart: 644
- Harbour draught 3.0 m.
By Public Transportation
- m/s Ejskär (www.vitharun.fi)
By Taxi Boat
- Björknäs Care Oy (www.bjorknascare.fi)
- Roger Granlund (www.venetaxi.fi)
- Metsähallitus Excursionmap.fi (www.retkikartta.fi)
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (www.karttapaikka.fi)
- Terrain map 1033 11 Örö 84/91 PP, 1:20 000, National Land Survey of Finland 1991. Maps are for sale from e.g. Karttakeskus and the service points of the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Merikarttasarja B, kartta numero 644: nautical chart series B, map no 644, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2014. Maps are for sale e.g. from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.
Map Sales Points
- Karttakeskus (www.karttakauppa.fi)
- National Land Survey service points (www.maanmittauslaitos.fi)
1. Respect nature.
2. Mainly use marked trails.
3. Camp only where it is allowed.
4. Light your campfire only where it is allowed.
5. Do not litter.