What's Currently Happening in Salla National Park
Salla is the 41st national park of Finland, established in 2022. Developing the services, trails, trail markings and signs in the national park is in progress. While the paths are quite clear, it is advisable to carry a map when hiking in the area. You can get advice and current trail information from the Salla Visitor Centre.
A new open wilderness hut is ready for use: Pahanojankuru
A brand new, eye-catching Pahanojankuru Open Wilderness Hut has been built with ecological materials in the national park. The hut is now ready to be used as a rest spot during the day or for sleeping in the night. The hut is situated at Pahakuru ravine, along the UKK-trail and the Pahakuru Trail. There is room for at least 9 sleepers (bring your own sleeping pad and sleeping bag), two wood stoves for heating and drying equipment and gas stove for cooking. In the yard there is a campfire site, a table with benches and stairs to the nearby water point of Pahaoja creek (boil water before consumption). Please read the guidelines for using open wilderness huts before visiting.
Helicopter transports of materials near Itärinne and Tunturilampi area
Starting monday 18th September and lasting for a few days, there will be construction material transports with helicopter near Itärinne (eastern slopes) and Tunturilampi area. The trails of the area can be used normally.
Pitkälampi rest spot is out of use due to construction works
Pitkälampi rest spot structures will be renewed. The construction works have started 13th September and will last approximately three weeks. During this time the Pitkälampi rest spot is out of use. The Pahakuru rest spot can be used normally.
Aikkipetsi Open Wilderness Hut
Aikkipetsi (Aihkipetsi) day trip hut has been transformed into an open wilderness hut: 2 bunk beds have been built in the hut, with places for 4 sleepers in total. There are no mattresses, so bring your own sleeping pad and sleeping bag. There is a gas stove for cooking and a wood stove for heating; water can be taken from the Kalliolampi pond next to the hut (boil water before use). There is a campfire site as well as a dry toilet and a woodshed in the yard. The hut is situated along two summer hiking trails: the Ukk-trail and the Aikkipetsi round trail. Please read the guidelines on using open wilderness huts before visiting.
Finished construction works in summer 2023
- At Kolmiloukkonen Pond new accessible rest spot structures have been built. Some finishing touches are still being made there, but you can use the area.
- New metal stairs with wooden steps in the side for dogs have been built from Kaunisharju parking area towards Kaunisharju lean-to shelter.
- A new dry toilet has been built near the Pohjoisrinne (Northern slopes) parking area.
Many hiking trails and structures will be improved in 2023
With the funding received for the establishment of Salla National Park, the hiking services of the park will be made better during summer and autumn 2023. The durability and usability of the trails will be increased by building duckboards and stairs at key locations, and the signage of the summer trails will be improved. The national park will also get new information boards to the main starting points of the trails and a brand new open wilderness hut. These construction works do not cause trail closures, but before heading out for a hike or a mountain bike tour, it's a good idea to check the current situation from the national park's customer service at the Salla Visitor Centre.
- A new open wilderness hut and new metal stairs will be built at Pahaojankuru area. They are supposed to be ready for use in late autumn. Moving in the area is restricted due to the construction sites, and the services of the Pahakuru rest spot are not in use. Instead of the surroundings of Pahanojankuru, this summer it is recommended you choose another destination in Salla National Park.
- Rest spot structures will be renewed at Kolmiloukkonen and Pitkälampi. Kolmiloukkonen rest spot will be accessible, and a metal scenery viewing platform will also be built on the shore of the pond of Kolmiloukkonen.
- New duckboards will be built along the Pahakuru trail and around Kolmiloukkonen circle trail, and metal duckboards will be made at Kylmähete rest spot. Other smaller duckboards works outside the national park will also be carried out.
- A new dry toilet will be built near the Pohjoisrinne (Northern slopes) parking area.
Construction work finished in fall 2022
New day trip huts at Kaippahanoja and Kylmähete rest spots
The new day trip huts are now finished at Kaippahanoja and Kylmähete rest spots, and hikers are welcome to use them. The day trip huts are located along the Pahakuru trail and they are not meant for overnight stay. There are new campfire sites outside the day trip huts and some construction material in the area which we can carry away in winter.
New lean-to shelters at Kaunisharju and Tunturilampi rest spots
The new lean-to shelters and a campfire site at Kaunisharju and Tunturilampi are now finished and ready to be used. There is 1 lean-to shelter at the Kaunisharju rest spot and two lean-to shelters at the Tunturilampi rest spot.
The Taivaan tavoittelijan taival trail re-opened in September
The renovation on the Taivaan tavoittelijan taival (Sky Reacher´s Journey) trail up to Iso Pyhätunturi fell was finished in September and the trail is open again. In the renevation we renewed the stairs and duckboards and surfaced some parts of the trail with gravel.
Graveling on the Kolmiloukkonen trail finished
The graveling work on the Kolmiloukkonen trail was finished in September. The section surfaced with gravel starts at the beginning of the trail and goes to the Kolmiloukkonen lake and the lean-to shelter 1. From there it follows the right side of the lake until the mire with duckboards.
News in Salla