Services in Helvetinjärvi National Park
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Restaurant Helvetin Portti
- There is a restaurant at Kankimäki parking area (Helvetinkoluntie 775), tel.int. +358 3 476 6104. Information and maps are available at the restaurant. Restaurant services include also accomodation, Caravan-park and WLAN connection. Restaurants specialty is wild boar and ostrich meals.
Campfire Sites, Cooking Shelters and Day Trip Hut
- Heinälahti: Campfire site
- Haukanhieta: 2 Campfire sites and cooking shelter (with flue)
- Iso Ruokejärvi: Campfire site
- Helvetinkolu: Campfire site and day trip hut, where wooden stove and fireplace (with flue)
- Luomajärvi: Campfire site,
- Luomanlahti: cooking shelter (with flue)
- Ruokejärvet: Campfire site
- Valkoinen: Campfire site
Please note that lighting campfire is not allowed if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- There is a well at Haukanhieta. The water has been tested and it should be boiled before drinking.
- There is a well at Ruokkeenharju. The water has not been tested 2019. We recommend that the water should be boiled before drinking.
- At the restaurant Helvetin Portti in Kankimäki there is a water tap near the terrace.
- Surface water, such as water from lakes, rivers and brooks should be boiled before drinking, because the quality of the water varies in different areas.
There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
In the National Park there are dry toilets at each campfire site and camping site. Also the restaurant at Kankimäki has a toilet.
In Helvetinjärvi National Park there are six free camping sites with campfire site, firewood shelter, axe, and dry toilet. The camping sites are located at
- Iso Ruokejärvi,
- Ruokejärvi and
In Helvetinjärvi National Park there are no lean-to shelters.
Caravans and Camper Vans
Hiedan maja´s cabin in the National Park can be rented from the end of May until the end of October.
Information and reservations Metsähallitus, Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (mon-fri 9:00-15:00), seitseminen(at)metsa.fi
Lodging in the Surrounding Areas
- Haukkajoki cabin (lomarengas.fi)
- Information on lodging in the surrounding areas can be found at Seitseminen Nature Centre or the municipality of Ruovesi (ruovesi.fi, in Finnish) and the town of Ylöjärvi (ylojarvi.fi).
Services for Disabled
The National Park landscape is quite demanding, due to differences in altitude. Only at Haukanhieta the surroundings are accessible by wheelchair, but it is recommended wheelchair users have an assistant. There is special toilet for disabled at the restaurant in Kankimäki.
Other Services in the Surrounding Areas
- In the municipality centre of Ruovesi, about 20 km from Helvetinkolu, and in Kuru, about 25 km from Haukanhieta, there are all basic services.
- Nearest place to get fuel is Ruovesi.
- Information on canoe and boat rental in the surrounding areas can be found in Metsähallitus, Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (mon-fri 9:00-15:00), sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.