Visit the Island of Seili
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
Opening Hours 2021
15.5.–11.6. Sat and Sun 12am – 3pm
12.6.–15.8. Every day 12am – 3pm
16.–29.8. Sat and Sun 12am – 3pm
Outside opening hours, open by separate agreement.
Information on church services and other events can be found at the local operator Skärgårdskompaniet's website: visitseili.fi.
Visits to the island are free of charge. Entrance fees to the Museum Church:
- Adults EUR 3.50
- Pensioners and children under 14 EUR 2.00
- Family ticket EUR 8.50
Group fees and bookings: sales(at)visitseili.fi
Several commercial tour companies organise day trips to Seili.
- Address to the island: Seili, 21660 Nauvo
- Google Maps (googlemaps.fi, in Finnish)
- Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 60°14' lon: 21°57' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6688100 E: 220492
- Part of the Seili island as well as the museum church is managed by Parks & Wildlife Finland. Turku University's Archipelago Sea research institute, Suomen Yliopistokiinteistöt Ltd., Skärgårdskompaniet are other actors on the island. Furthermore, part of the island is privately owned land.
- Customer service:
- Skärgårdskompaniet; tel. +358 (0)40 1560064 email: info(at)visitseili.fi
- Metsähallitus: +358 206 39 4620, email: rannikko(at)metsa.fi
- Skärgårdskompaniet (visitseili.fi, in Finnish) (Seili museum church, guided tours and accommodation)
- Tel. +358 (0)40 1560064
- Events organized in the destination must be informed beforehand to Parks and Wildlife Finland: (metsa.fi, in Finnish).
- Research and other operations outside the everyman's rights require a permit from the land owner: (metsa.fi, in Finnish).
Directions and Maps
The island of Seili is situated in the municipality of Parainen in the Archipelago Sea, in the southern part of the Airisto open sea area. The 7 kilometre crossing to Nauvo church village takes about 20 minutes. The crossing to Turku is about 30 kilometres.
There are bus connections (matkahuolto.fi) to Nauvo from Turku and Parainen cities.
- Location of the visitors' berth (so-called Church berth on the eastern side of the island): 60°14,6'N 21°57,9'E (WGS 84 coordinate system), ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6689148 E: 221406. Nautical chart series D, nautical chart 707, harbour number 742.
- Day trip visitors and overnighting boats
- Depth of fairway at the visitors' berth: 1.5-2.0 metres.
- Number of berths: 10.
- Anchor mooring.
- Waste disposal
- Location of the post pier: 60°14,15'N 21°57,40'E (WGS 84 coordinate system), ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6688349 E: 220882. Nautical chart series D, nautical chart 707
- Day trip visitors
- Depth in the harbour 1.5–2.0 meters
- Number of berths 15
- Anchor and buoy mooring
- Waste disposal
Location of the Reserach institute pier (Post jetty): 60°14,3'N 21°58,0'E (WGS 84 coordinate system), ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6688585 E: 221456. Nautical chart series D, nautical chart 707
Depth of the harbours 1,5–2,0 meters
Anchor and buoy mooring
- Please note that these berths are the only visitors' berth on the island, other berths are private or reserved for the ferry service.
- Public transport service between Nauvo and the island of Seili is operated by the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Southwest Finland. The island is serviced by M/S Östern on the route Nauvo–Seili–Hanka (Rymättylä) and M/S Falkö on the northern route of Nauvo.In the summer also M/S Vitharun operates between Turku-Seili-Nauvo.
- The ferry service berth is at about 1.3 kilometres walking distance from the church berth.
- Retkeily GT Etelä-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Southern Finland, 1:250 000. Karttakeskus 2019. Maps are for sale e.g. from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.
- GT Outdoor Map Eastern Finland, 1:250 000, Karttakeskus 2015. Maps are for sale e.g. from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.
- Ticks live in damp grass, and some of them carry viruses and bacteria which cause diseases. It is especially important to cover your legs, which is easily done by wearing your socks on top of your trouser legs. Tick pliers and tick check done every night are also essential.