Services in Salamajärvi National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Opening hours 2023
- 25.2.-5.3. Every day 10:00-16:00 (winter holidays)
- 7.-10.4. 10:00-16:00 (Easter)
- In May from 6.5. Saturday - Sunday 10:00-16:00
- 27.5.-25.6. Every day 10:00-16:00
- 26.6.-6.8. Monday -Thursday and Saturday - Sunday 10:00-16:00, Friday 10:00-18:00. Light lunch Saturday-Sunday 11:00-15:00
- 7.8.-3.9. Every day 10:00-16:00
- 4.9.-13.10. Saturday - Sunday 10:00-16:00
- 14.-22.10. Every day 10:00-16:00 (autumn holidays)
- Other times by booking in advance
- Rental of accommodation and equipment all year round by booking in advance
- Events: Koirasalmi facebooksite (facebook.com, in Finnish).
- Guidance for visitors at Salamajärvi National Park
- Reservations for Sysilampi and Pieni Sääksjärvi rental huts
- Rowing boat, canoe, pedal boat and SUP-board rental
- Accommodation, caravan places, rental of sauna, rental of accessible campfire hut
- Snow shoe, OAC skinbased ski, kicksled, and forest ski rental
- Meal services, guided tours and courses
- Camp schools
- Larger groups are asked to announce their arrival in advance
- Contact Information:
- The services at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut are offered by enterprise Luonnollisesti M&M.
- Website: Koirasalmi nature hut (koirasalmi.com)
- Email: koirasalmi(at)gmail.com,
- Tel.int. +358 40 9398147
- Address: Koirasalmentie 1220, Kivijärvi. (Attention! It is possible that the navigators do not recognize the address)
Customer service of Metsähallitus
- Tel.int. +358 206 39 5270 Monday - Friday 9:00-15:00
- E-mail: sisasuomi(at)metsa.fi
Services Offered by Enterprises in Salamajärvi National Park and by Peuran Polku Hiking Trail
Following enterprises offer services in Salamajärvi National Park and by Peuran Polku Hiking Trail. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable tourism when operating in the National Park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops, Kiosks and Restaurants
- The nearest shops are at the centres of Kinnula (kinnula.fi, in Finnish), Kivijärvi (kivijarvi.fi, in Finnish) and Perho (perho.com, in Finnish), 20 - 25 km away.
- It is possible to buy t-shirts and textile badges of the national park, souvenirs, coffee, snacks, ice cream, candies etc. at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut.
- Several enterprises offer catering and accommodation services in the area.
Campfire Sites, Campfire Shelters and Lean-to Shelters
- There is a campfire shelter (accessible) and 3 campfire sites (of which 2 are accessible) at Koirasalmi
- Lean-to shelter at Lake Heikinjärvi
- Campfire shelter at Pyydyskoski and Pahkahonganlahti.
- Open wilderness hut, 3 rental huts and 2 campfire places at Sysilampi.
- Campfire sites are located at Hiiliniemi, Tavilampi, Kaulus, Jyrkkäniemi and Pitkälahti.
- The campfire sites Ruuhilampi, Matolampi and Talviaho are no longer maintained and the sites will be demolished in spring 2024.
- Please note that when forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect, fire may only be lit in the fireplaces of the huts. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- There is a tap on the wall of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut. Water quality is tested once a year.
- Sysilampi open wilderness hut (a drilled well).
- Pitkäjärvi open wilderness hut (a spring)
- Along the Hirvaan kierros -trail outside the nationalpark:
- Valvatti open wilderness hut (a drilled well)
- Pieni Sääksjärvi rental hut (a drilled well)
- Nielujärvi (a spring)
- The water in wells and springs is examined every three years. The research results are displayed at the well, the spring or on the wall in the open wilderness hut. For safety reasons, however, it is advisable to boil the water from the springs before use.
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Toilets by Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut and isthmus, Sysilampi and Valvatti are emptied with suction. Do not put any food waste or other garbage in them. At Koirasalmi and Sysilampi there are separate composts.
- There is a recycling point at Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut, where you can dispose of biodegradable waste, glass, paper, metal and mixed waste.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are accessible toilets that are emptied with suction on the grounds of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut and Koirasalmi isthmus.
- There are toilets that are emptied with suction at Sysilampi and Valvatti (Hirvaan kierros -trail).
- There are no toilets at Hiiliniemi, Ruuhilampi, Kaulus and Tavilampi or at Ahvenlampi or Iso-Valvatti which are situated by Hirvaan kierros -trail. There are dry toilets at other campfire sites.
- Bring your own toilet paper. You may need your own light source in the toilet, also during daylight hours.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Camping out temporarily is allowed in the camping sites, and in the vicinity of campfire sites and shelters.
- Terrain is stony. The best camping areas are at Pyydyskoski, Sysilampi, Pitkälahti and Koirasalmi (Nb! Koirasalmi camping and services are paid (koirasalmi.com).
- There is a lean-to shelter on the side of Lake Heikinjärvi.
Open Wilderness Huts
- Sysilampi open wilderness Hut, for 4 people
- Pitkälahti open wilderness Hut, for 2 people
- Valvatti open wilderness hut, for 4 people (In the vicinity of the National Park, by the Hirvaan kierros -trail)
- Sysilampi rental huts 1, 2 and 3, for 2 people, 6 people and 6 people
- Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut has rooms for 2 and 4 people.
- Pieni Sääksjärvi rental hut for 6 people (In the vicinity of the National Park, by the Hirvaan kierros -trail)
Reservations at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com).
There are two rental cabins near the National Park.
- Ahvenlampi Cabin (lomarengas.fi), for 22 people, has a fireplace, stove, gas cooker and gas lights, a sauna and a boat.
Kaunislampi Cabin (lomarengas.fi), for 6 people, has heater, gas refrigerator, gas cooker and gas lights, a sauna and a boat. Kaunislampi cabin is located about 5 km from the National Park.
- At Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut there are places for caravans, some also with electricity. A fee is charged. Reservations at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com).
Where to Wash
- There is one rental sauna in the National Park: the sauna of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut. Reservations at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com).
- The sauna at the Sysilampi is included in the rental of the Sysilampi rental huts 2 and 3.
- Rental of row boats, canoes, snoe shoes, skis and kicksleds at the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut (koirasalmi.com). Availability is recommended to check in advance.
- In Salamajärvi National Park there are accessible trails and hiking structures. Explore the accessible services of Salamajärvi National Park.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The municipality center of Kinnula (kinnula.fi, in Finnish), Kivijärvi (kivijarvi.fi, in Finnish) and Perho (perho.com, in Finnish) have all the basic services. The distance to Salamajärvi National Park is about 20 - 25 km.
- Nearest places to buy fuel are at the village of Möttönen in Perho, and at Kivijärvi, about 20 km away.
- Saarijärvi region tourism services (visitsaarijarvi.fi).
Hiking Destinations in the Surrounding Area
- Iso-Valvatti bird wetland near the mire reserve of Linjasalmenneva.
- Iso-Valvatti is a former lake, which was drained during 1927 - 1930 for harvesting hay.
- An excellent destination for bird watchers in the spring.
- Valvatti road is in bad conditions.
- More information from Metsähallitus, Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (tue-fri 10:00-14:00), seitseminen(at)metsa.fi.