Services in Kolovesi National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Kolovesi Nature Information Hut in Enonkoski.
- Open from June to August.
- At the Nature Information Hut you can get information on exploring the National Park, renting canoes and boats, and obtaining fishing permits and licences.
- In other times of year, information can be got at Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari.
- Groups can get guidance in Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari on for example the services and the aims of conservation in Kolovesi National Park, the threatened species in the lake ecosystems, and about nature conservation in general.
- Most of the information is also available in English, Swedish and German.
- It is recommended that groups make a reservation in advance. A fee is charged for guidance for groups.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
The nearest shops are in the municipality centres of Enonkoski and Savonranta. It is about 15 km to Enonkoski from Käkövesi boat launching place, 22 km from Kirkkoranta boat launching place and 18 km from the parking area of Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail. It is about 21 km to Savonranta from Kirkkoranta and Nahkiaissalo and 25 km from Käkövesi boat launching place.
Campfire Sites and Cooking Shelter
There is a cooking shelter at Käkövesi boat launching place. The campfire sites are located at
- Pitkäsaari Island, north
- Lohilahti Bay and
- at Kirkkoranta boat launching place.
To Pitkäsaari south camp-fire place we don´t bring firewood anymore. Use your own camp stowe when making meals. You can pick up firewood from the nearby fireplace (150 m). Please, don´t take firewood from the forest!
To Lapinniemi camp-fire place we don´t bring firewood anymore. Use your own camp stowe when making meals. Please, don´t take firewood from the forest!
Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden if the forest fire warning is in effect.
- In the National Park drinking water is only available from surface water (from the lake).
- It is recommended that you boil the water before drinking it, as the quality of the water is changeable.
- In the National Park there are waste-bins in Kirkkoranta. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area or bring them to the Waste-bins in Kirkkoranta. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There are dry toilets at the camping sites of Pitkäsaari, Pyylinoja, Lapinniemi, Laajakaarre, Syväniemi, Hirviniemi, Vaajasalo and Lohilahti, at Käkövesi boat launching place, and the parking area of Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail.
- There is a toilet for the disabled in Kirkkoranta.
- Toilet paper is good to have along.
The 11 camping sites of the National Park are located at
- Lohilahti Bay (2 sites), rocky shoreline, very few camping spots.
- the southern end of Vaajasalo Island, rocky cape, very few camping spots.
- Hirviniemi, shallow rocky beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Syväniemi (2 sites), a cliff faced and rocky shoreline.
- Laajakaarre, a cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Only a limited amount of camping spots
- Lapinniemi, rocky shoreline, very few camping spots.
- Pyylinoja, rocky shoreline.There is no level terrain for camping
- and Pitkäsaari Island (2 sites which are accessible also by motor boat), rocky shoreline, very little space for camping.
- Mäntysalon kämppä rental hut is intended for summer time use. It is situated on the eastern shore of Mäntysalo Island on the northern end of Kolovesi National Park.
- Huhtiniemi rental hut is intended for use during summer time. Huhtiniemi is situated in Rekitaipale, on the southwestern part of Kolovesi National Park, and it is accessible by car.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- Villa Kolovesi, a log cabin near the National Park (www.saimaaholiday.net)
- Cottageholidays (www.cottageholidays.fi)
Outdoor equipment is rented by several enterprises. Look at the services offered by enterprises with which Metsähallitus has a cooperative agreement.
Services for the Disabled
There is a toilet and a campfire site for the disabled in Kirkkoranta. In addition at Hirviniemi camping site there are handrails to ease your walk from the canoe pier to the campfire site and to the dry toilet.
Special Services for Boaters
- The Heinävesi Water Route leads along the north border of the area. The depth of the route is 1.8 m.
- You can get to the Mäntysalo Nature Trail starting point by motor boat. Nature trail landing point (62°18,44' 28°44,51')
- Find more information on Kolovesi excursion harbours and other boater's services here. More information on excursion harbours can also be found in the book Veneilykesä 2018 (www.satamaopas.fi)
- Please note that motor boating is allowed only in the northern part of the park. The two small excursion harbours on Pitkäsaari Island are the only harbours inside Kolovesi National Park which can be reached by motor boat. In addition the starting point for Mäntysalo Trail is accessible by motor boat.
- There are boat launch points at Kirkkoranta and Käkövesi.
- There are canoe piers at the south end of Pitkäsaari Island, at Cape Lapinniemi, Laajakaarre, Kirkkoranta, Cape Syvänniemi, Cape Hirviniemi, Vaajasalo and Lohilahti Bay (west).
Other services in the Surrounding Area
The nearest banks, petrol stations, and other services are located in Enonkoski (www.enonkoski.fi, in Finnish) which is about 15 km south from Käkövesi boat launching place, and 18 km from the parking area of Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail.