Hammastunturi Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
- Hammastunturi Wilderness Area is located between the main road 4 (E75 Sodankylä - Inari) and the road 955 (Inari - Kittilä).
- The western part of Hammastunturi Wilderness Area can be reached from the road 955 (Inari - Pokka - Kittilä). The eastern part from the road 4 (E75 to Rovaniemi) and the southern part and the River Ivalojoki from the road 9694 (to Kuttura). There are parking areas at the both ends of Kuttura road, and in the end of Sotajoentie road which goes to Pahaoja. Elsewhere, you need to park along the forest roads which go to the edges of the Wilderness Area.
- Driving directions to Northern Lapland Nature Centre Siida.
- Driving directions to Customer Service Ivalo.
- Driving directions to Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service .
By Public Transportation
- You can get to the edge of the Wilderness Area by coach (matkahuolto.fi) on a daily service from Sodankylä to Ivalo and Inari.
- There is a coach connection from Rovaniemi to Sodankylä.To Rovaniemi you can get from Helsinki by train (vr.fi).
- In Ivalo, there is an airport (finavia.fi) with daily flights. From airport there is a trasportation to Inari village (kuljetusliikeilmarislant.fi), notice that you have to make a pre-booking on the previos day by 6.pm.
Starting Points for Excursions
- The southern part of the Wilderness Area and the River Ivalojoki can be reached via Kuttura road. There are parking areas at the both ends of Kuttura road, and in the end of Sotajoentie road which goes to Pahaoja.
- The trail to Kultala of the River Ivalojoki goes via Pahaoja Hut. The nearest parking area is 1 km from Pahaoja Hut.
- The parking areas which are also starting points for the Laanila Kultareitti Trail are located along road 4 also known as road E75 (Sodankylä - Ivalo) and at the beginning of road 9694 (Kutturantie road).
- The starting point for Kulmakuru ski trail is next to Siula House.
- Starting Points for Trails
- For canoeists, there is a parking area and a canoe launch place along the River Ivalojoki in the village of Kuttura, by the bridge.
- Saariselkä Hammastunturi waterproof map, 1:25 000, 1:50 000, Calazo 2022.
- Lemmenjoki, water resistant outdoor map, 1:100 000 / 1:50 000. Karttakeskus 2022.
- Saariselkä Sokosti, water resistant outdoor map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2022.
- Hammastunturi Ivalojoki Juutua waterproof outdoor map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2020.
- Lemmenjoen ulkoilukartta: Lemmenjoki outdoor map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2015.
- Terrain maps: V443, V444, V521 and V522, 1:50 000. National Land Survey of Finland 2007 / 2008.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000.
- Kuttura road 9694, at both ends of the road
- Sotajoentie, at the end of the road
- The main road 4, Laanila (Inari)
- Kelotie 1, Saariselkä (Inari)
More precise parking area addresses are not available. Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.