Instructions and Rules in Evo Hiking Area
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
Instructions on Exploring Evo Hiking area
In the hiking area, the following are
- Moving around and camping, according to the Everyman's right, although it is recommended that visitors camp in the designated places.
- Mountain biking is allowed according to everyman's rights. Always stay on clearly visible tracks and pay attention to other hikers.
- Picking berries and mushrooms
- Rock Climbing at Hakovuori Hill.
- Campfire is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose.
- Group camping areas are only for groups, such as scouts.
- Hunting small game that is subject to permit.
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof.
- Pets running at large
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
- On some of the lakes, fishing is forbidden because of experimental fishing
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the park without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Equipment and Safety
- The landscape varies greatly, which means that some trails are more difficult than others, and take longer to hike.
- Choice of footwear depends on the terrain and the weather: the mire sections have duckboards, but on a rainy day waterproof footwear is needed.
- Ilvesvaellus Trail map and a compass are necessary, unless you know the area well. There is a dense network of forest roads and footpaths inside the hiking area.
- A bottle for drinking water is useful, because drinking water is only available in certain places.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland:
- Before your trip see also page What is New.
- The most popular times with hikers in Evo are the spring and autumn weekends, and the summer. During the summer, Lake Niemisjärvi is the busiest area. In addition, the lean-to shelters in the hiking area are popular. During the winter, there are skiers and snow shoe walkers in the area.
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency center attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.